Guide to the Medical Technology Program Student Records
|Collection Title:||Medical Technology Program Student Records|
|Creator:||Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Medical School
|Language of Materials:||English|
|Abstract:||This series which fills one box, spans the years 1964-1982. Included are Clinical Laboratory Rotation Attendance Reports, Checklists for Laboratory Rotation and Requests for Excused Absences. These materials were dated 1980-1981, and are arranged alphabetically. Also included in the series are Order Forms for Medical Technology Pins (1970-1982) as well as Recommendations for Former Students in the Medical Technology Program (1964-1982).|
|Acquisition Information:||These records were separated from Accession #83-4, which was transferred to the University Archives in January of 1983 by Dr. Herbert Sommers of the Northwestern University Medical School.|
|Processing Information:||Harry Craan; October 9, 1986.|
|Conditions Governing Access:||The records may be used only with the permission of the University Archivist.|
|Repository:||Northwestern University Archives
Deering Library, Room 110
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL, 60208-2300
The Northwestern University Medical School began as the medical department of Lind University (later Lake Forest University) in 1859, located at Randolph and Market Streets in Chicago. In 1864, the medical department became an independent school, the Chicago Medical College, housed in a building at 22nd and State Streets. The founder of the College, Nathan Smith Davis, was an innovator in medical education who wanted to establish a three-year program that went beyond the traditional lecture-and-apprenticeship program. In 1870, the medical school affiliated with Northwestern, becoming the first professional school to be added to the liberal arts college in fulfillment of the founders' goal of creating a university. The school moved to a building at 26th Street and Prairie Avenue, where it remained until 1893. The Chicago Medical College became the Northwestern University Medical School in 1891. The Medical School moved again in 1893, to a Northwestern University plot of land on the twenty-four hundred block of South Dearborn, where it remained until Northwestern opened its Near North Side Chicago Campus in 1926.
Chicago Medical College founder Nathan Smith Davis served as the school's first dean from 1870, after its union with Northwestern, until 1898. Davis was followed by Franklin Seward Johnson (1898-1901). The third dean was Davis' son, Nathan Smith Davis, Jr. (1901-1907). The younger Davis' tenure as Dean was followed by those of Arthur Robin Edwards (1907-1916), Arthur Isaac Kendall (1916-1924), and Irving Samuel Cutler (1925-1941).
The medical school went through a number of changes in admission and graduation requirements during the first two decades of the twentieth century. In 1908 requirements for admission were raised to include one year of college, rather than just a high school diploma. In 1911, applicants were required to have completed two years of college. The American Medical Association itself did not require this level of education until 1918. Nathan Smith Davis, Jr., who favored more stringent requirements, clashed with his more traditional faculty over this issue and resigned his deanship in 1907.
In 1915, the medical school became one of six schools nationwide to require a fifth-year internship to earn the M.D. degree. These changes caused a drop in enrollment over the next few years, from 470 students in the 1909-1910 academic year to a low of 181 students in 1913-1914. Registration was up again to 413 students in 1919-1920 and, in the long run, the changes served to enhance the medical school's reputation.
For more information on the history of the Northwestern University Medical School, see Leslie B. Arey, Northwestern University Medical School, 1859-1979 (Evanston and Chicago: Northwestern University Medical School, 1979).
Scope and Content
This series which fills one box, spans the years 1964-1982. Included are Clinical Laboratory Rotation Attendance Reports, Checklists for Laboratory Rotation and Requests for Excused Absences. These materials were dated 1980-1981, and are arranged alphabetically. Also included in the series are Order Forms for Medical Technology Pins (1970-1982) as well as Recommendations for Former Students in the Medical Technology Program (1964-1982).
Container List / Contents
- L.B., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 1
- R.B., 1979-80Box 1, Folder 2
- C.C., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 3
- R.C., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 4
- M.D., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 5
- D.H., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 6
- L.M., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 7
- M.P., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 8
- M.J.S., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 9
- M.V., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 10
- S.Z., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 11
- K.Z., 1980-81Box 1, Folder 12
- Miscellaneous, 1976-1980Box 1, Folder 13
- Order Forms for Med Tech Pins, 1970-1982Box 1, Folder 14
- Recommendations for Former Students, A-K, 1964-82Box 1, Folder 15
- Recommendations for Former Students, L-Z, 1964-82Box 1, Folder 16