Guide to the Records of the Northwestern University Dames Club
|Collection Title:||Records of the Northwestern University Dames Club|
|Creator:||Northwestern University Dames Club
|Language of Materials:||English|
|Abstract:||This series fills one half-size box and, while spanning the years from 1946 to 1975, with the majority of materials coming from the period 1966-1969. Materials included minutes, announcements, membership lists, correspondence, calendars, and booklets.|
|Acquisition Information:||This series was separated from the University Circle Records (Accession #84-33 and #84-191).|
|Processing Information:||Mary Ann Webber, February 23, 1984; James G. Carson, November 8. 1984.|
|Separated Materials:||Newsletters (“Dames Doings” and “N.U. Student Wives' Club Newsletter” were placed in the serials file.|
|Conditions Governing Access:||None.|
|Repository:||Northwestern University Archives
Deering Library, Room 110
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL, 60208-2300
The Northwestern University Dames Club was a social organization for women affiliated with Northwestern University. It was founded May 12, 1925, by Mrs. R. A. Kent, a member of Northwestern's University Circle. Two years after its founding the Club joined the National Association of University Dames. During World War II membership in the Northwestern Club dwindled and it was disbanded. Members of the University Circle reorganized the Club in 1945. In 1972 the Club's name was changed to “Northwestern University Student Wives' Club.”
Membership in the Dames Club was open generally to the wives and mothers of Northwestern students, as well as to married women students enrolled in the University. Officers, an executive board, and standing committees administered the affairs of the Club. Club policy was set and discussed at frequent board and general meetings. Among the many social activities sponsored by the Club were picnics and outings, fund raising sales, charity projects, holiday parties, and related activities.
Scope and Content
This series fills one half-size box and, while spanning the years from 1946 to 1975, with the majority of materials coming from the period 1966-1969. Materials included minutes, announcements, membership lists, correspondence, calendars, and booklets.
The records are arranged into five folders. The first folder includes a copy of the Club constitution, in addition to lists of Club officers, statements of officers' duties, minutes of board meetings, and related materials. Minutes of general meetings (1961-75), as well as announcements of meetings, are arranged in the second folder. Membership lists and reports of the Club's membership chairperson are included in the third folder. The fourth folder includes correspondence, calendars, and related materials concerning Club social activities. The fifth folder contains booklets of general information on the University and the Evanston community, compiled by the Dames for newcomers to the campus; and questionnaires soliciting reactions to various proposed Dames activities.
Container List / Contents
- Administrative and Officers' Records, 1962-76, n.d.Box 1, Folder 1
- General Meetings, 1946-47, 1961-75Box 1, Folder 2
- Membership Records, 1947-49, 1966-74, n.d.Box 1, Folder 3
- Social Activities, 1961-62, 1966-72, n.d.Box 1, Folder 4
- Newcomer Information Booklets, Questionnaires, 1967-77, n.d.Box 1, Folder 5