Guide to the Dorothy Lane (1910-1994) Papers
|Collection Title:||Dorothy Lane (1910-1994) Papers|
|Creator:||Lane, Dorothy, 1910-1994
|Language of Materials:||English|
|Abstract:||In 1953 Northwestern University's School of Music hired Lane, thereby introducing the harpsichord as an area of music studies at Northwestern. Lane later became part-time Associate Professor (1954), full-time Associate Professor (1964), Professor (1978), and Professor Emeritus (1979). The Dorothy Lane Papers consist of five folders of biographical, publicity, correspondence, and student files dating from 1936 to 1994.|
|Acquisition Information:||Martha Briggs of the Newberry Library donated the bulk of the papers to the Northwestern University Archives on September 25, 2003, as Accession Number 03-173. Material from the Archives' Faculty Biographical Files was incorporated into this series.|
|Processing Information:||Rae Sikula Bielakowski; September 2003.|
|Conditions Governing Access:||None.|
|Repository:||Northwestern University Archives
Deering Library, Room 110
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL, 60208-2300
Born in Minnesota in 1910, harpsichordist and educator Dorothy Lane graduated from Helena High School (Helena, Montana) in 1927 and subsequently attended the Chicago Musical College (1929-31), Cosmopolitan Conservatory (1932-34), and the University of Chicago (1932-38). At Chicago a chance meeting with well-known harpsichordists Philip Manuel and Gavin Williamson inspired Lane to become their student in harpsichord performance, construction, repair, and tuning. In 1953 Northwestern University's School of Music hired Lane, thereby introducing the harpsichord as an area of music studies at Northwestern. Lane later became part-time Associate Professor (1954), full-time Associate Professor (1964), Professor (1978), and Professor Emeritus (1979).
Lane's performance career included concerts with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra; appearances at the Chicago Festival of Ancient Music; and performances at many Midwestern colleges and universities, including the University of Notre Dame, University of Wisconsin, University of Michigan, and University of Minnesota. In addition, Lane played for both television and radio and made two musical recordings: J. S. Bach's “Concerto in D Minor” (for Musicraft) and “Well-Tempered Clavicord” (for Concord). She was a member of the American Musicological Society, the International Music Society, and the Evanston Chapter of Pi Kappa Lambda, in which she served as President.
Lane died on March 31, 1994.
Scope and Content
The Dorothy Lane Papers consist of five folders of biographical, publicity, correspondence, and student files dating from 1936 to 1994.
Dating from 1953 to 1994, the biographical materials comprise press releases and newspaper clippings relating to Lane's teaching and performance career at Northwestern; as well as a 1994 obituary from the Music School's Fanfare magazine. Publicity materials span from 1954 to 1973 and include a photograph of Lane; performance programs; performance reviews; and biographical sketch.
The correspondence (1936-1979) consists of incoming and a small amount of outgoing material that pertains mainly to Lane's salary and rank within the University.
One folder of recommendations dating from 1973 to 1976 documents Lane's efforts to secure scholarships, employment, and promotions for her students and colleagues. A file pertaining to one former student, baroque music scholar James Ladewig, contains a copy of his 1987 published article “The Origins of Frescobaldi's Variation Canzonas Reappraised.”
Container List / Contents
- Biographical Materials, 1953-1994Box 1, Folder 1
- Publicity Materials, 1954-1973Box 1, Folder 2
- Correspondence, 1936-1979Box 1, Folder 3
- Recommendations, 1973-1976Box 1, Folder 4
- Ladewig, James, 1987-1988Box 1, Folder 5