Guide to the The Hardy Scholarship Records
|Collection Title:||The Hardy Scholarship Records|
|Creator:||Hardy Scholarship Committee
|Language of Materials:||English|
|Abstract:||The Hardy Scholarship was established in 1935 by Owen L. Coon in honor of his professor, Clarion Dewitt Hardy of the Speech Department of Northwestern University. The records relating to the Hardy Scholarship date from 1934 to 1976. They include correspondence between the originators regarding the establishment and implementation of the scholarship and the activities of the Hardy Scholarship committee, speech department, and students. The records reflect the manner and methods of choosing Hardy scholars; interests and expectations of the founders, students, and the Hardy Committee; requirement changes for the award; and changes within the department of forensics.|
|Acquisition Information:||Transferred to the University Archives 10/18/78 from the School of Speech.|
|Processing Information:||Barbara Cohen, April 19, 1989|
|Related Materials:||Hardy Scholars: see also “The Book of the Hardy Scholars” (1 vol., manuscript list of scholars), ca. 1939-1951, Acc# 78-72|
|Repository:||Northwestern University Archives
Deering Library, Room 110
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL, 60208-2300
The Hardy Scholarship was established in 1935 by Owen L. Coon in honor of his professor, Clarion Dewitt Hardy of the Speech Department of Northwestern University.
Owen L. Coon, 1894-1948, was born in LeRoy, Illinois. He graduated in 1915 and received a Law degree in 1919 from Northwestern University. He went into the finance business and founded the General Finance Corporation.
Owen Coon felt that the interest and training of Professor C.D. Hardy contributed most to his education. His desire in establishing the Hardy Scholarship was to aid and encourage students interested in and active in debate. Intelligence, interest in public service and personality were other considerations for determining the award.
To administer the scholarship the Hardy Scholarship Committee was created. Another purpose of the committee was to guide and counsel Hardy scholars. C.D. Hardy's influence was to bear upon the committee, thereby creating a link between C.D. Hardy and future scholars.
Hardy Scholars are eligible for financial aid, monetary awards where there is no financial need, exclusive use of the selected books in the Hardy lounge, the award of the Hardy Medal upon graduation, and written entry into the Hardy Book. To maintain the Hardy Scholarship students must meet scholastic and forensic activity requirements.
The Owen Coon Foundation was established to administer the funding of the scholarships. The Northwestern University Law School also awards Hardy Scholarships. The Law School Library is also a recipient of an endowment of Owen L. Coon.
Scope and Content
The records relating to the Hardy Scholarship date from 1934 to 1976. Included are correspondence between the originators regarding the establishment and implementation of the scholarship and the activities of the Hardy Scholarship committee, speech department and students. Reflected in the records is the manner and methods of choosing the Hardy scholars, interests and expectations of the founders, students and the Hardy Committee, requirement changes for the award and changes within the department of forensics.
The types of materials which comprise the Hardy Scholarship Papers include general correspondence of originators, Hardy Scholarship Committee, Owen Coon Foundation, students and the speech department, committee business and minutes, grade and campus activity reports of scholars, rosters, pamphlets, notes, financial arrangements, and related materials.
Container List / Contents
- Correspondence: Creation, Planning, and Agreements, 1934-1936Box 1, Folder 1
- General Correspondence, 1935-1950Box 1, Folder 2
- General Correspondence, 1951-1964Box 1, Folder 3
- General Correspondence, 1965-1966Box 1, Folder 4
- General Correspondence, 1967-1970Box 1, Folder 5
- General Correspondence, 1971-1975Box 1, Folder 6
- Owen L. Coon Memorial, 1948-1950Box 2, Folder 1
- Hardy Scholarship-History, 1935Box 2, Folder 2
- Hardy Scholarship-Medals and Diploma Arrangements, 1940-1968Box 2, Folder 3
- Hardy Scholarship Committee-General Correspondence, 1948-1965Box 2, Folder 4
- Book of Hardy Scholars-Original Plans, 1943-1960Box 2, Folder 5
- Hardy Scholars-Student Reports (A.-Z.), 1965-1971Box 2, Folder 6
- Hardy Scholars-Cumualtive Grade and Activity Reports, 1935-1962Box 2, Folder 7
- Hardy Scholars-Status of Scholars Class of 1936-Class of 1967, 1935-1962Box 2, Folder 8
- Hardy Scholars-Post Graduation Activities, 1959-1963Box 2, Folder 9