Guide to the Records of the Department of Hispanic Studies
|Collection Title:||Records of the Department of Hispanic Studies|
|Creator:||Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Dept. of Hispanic Studies
|Language of Materials:||English|
|Abstract:||The Records of the Department of Hispanic Studies, filling two boxes, consists almost exclusively of course scheduling information and class lists spanning the years 1989-2000. Although limited in scope, the records document the range of courses offered over time, and the ebb and flow of student interest in the curriculum.|
|Acquisition Information:||The records of the Department of Hispanic Studies were transferred to the University Archives by Husna Mohiuddin, Department Assistant, on October 11, 2000 as Accession No. 00-276.|
|Processing Information:||Francine Keyes; April 8, 2004.|
|Separated Materials:||Approximately one-third of a cubic foot of duplicate and extraneous materials was discarded.|
|Conditions Governing Access:||These records may be consulted only with the permission of the University Archivist.|
|Repository:||Northwestern University Archives
Deering Library, Room 110
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL, 60208-2300
In 1985, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese was renamed the Department of Hispanic Studies. Prior to the founding of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Spanish courses had been offered in the Department of Romance Languages.
Like its predecessor, Hispanic Studies offered courses in Spanish and Portuguese languages and in the literatures and cultures of Latin America and Spain. The department granted both majors and minors in Spanish, and encouraged students to study abroad. The Department also participated in an interdisciplinary minor in Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
In the fall of 2001 the name of the Department was changed back to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
Scope and Content
The Records of the Department of Hispanic Studies, filling two boxes, consists almost exclusively of course scheduling information and class lists spanning the years 1989-2000. Although limited in scope, the records document the range of courses offered over time, and the ebb and flow of student interest in the curriculum.
The general folder in Box 1 contains registration and enrollment statistics from the years 1989 to 1997, as well as lists of Department faculty, a list of Spanish majors for the year 1996-1997, and information on advance placement exam credit for incoming freshmen.
Folders 2-12, Box 1, contain records relating to course scheduling, yearly and quarterly course plans, and registration statistics. Each folder covers one academic year and within the folder, yearly plans are filed initially and, when present, quarterly plans follow in chronological order.
The remainder of the series consists of class lists from academic years 1993-1994 through 1997-1998. These include the name and section number of the course, the name of the instructor, and the students' names, school, year, and sex. Each folder contains the class lists for one quarter. Within the folders, the class lists are in order of course and section number.
Arrangement of Materials
The records are arranged chronologically, then by course and section number.
Container List / Contents
- General, 1989-1997Box 1, Folder 1
- Course schedules, 1989-1990Box 1, Folder 2
- Course schedules, 1990-1991Box 1, Folder 3
- Course schedules, 1991-1992Box 1, Folder 4
- Course schedules, 1992-1993Box 1, Folder 5
- Course schedules, 1993-1994Box 1, Folder 6
- Course schedules, 1994-1995Box 1, Folder 7
- Course schedules, 1995-1996Box 1, Folder 8
- Course schedules, 1996-1997Box 1, Folder 9
- Course schedules, 1997-1998Box 1, Folder 10
- Course schedules, 1998-1999Box 1, Folder 11
- Course schedules, 1999-2000Box 1, Folder 12
- Class lists, 1993-1994 FallBox 1, Folder 13
- Class lists, 1993-1994 WinterBox 1, Folder 14
- Class lists, 1993-1994 SpringBox 1, Folder 15
- Class lists, 1993-1994 SummerBox 1, Folder 16
- Class lists, 1994-1995 FallBox 1, Folder 17
- Class lists, 1994-1995 WinterBox 2, Folder 1
- Class lists, 1994-1995 SpringBox 2, Folder 2
- Class lists, 1994-1995 SummerBox 2, Folder 3
- Class lists, 1995-1996 FallBox 2, Folder 4
- Class lists, 1995-1996 WinterBox 2, Folder 5
- Class lists, 1995-1996 SpringBox 2, Folder 6
- Class lists, 1996-1997 FallBox 2, Folder 7
- Class lists, 1996-1997 WinterBox 2, Folder 8
- Class lists, 1996-1997 SpringBox 2, Folder 9
- Class lists, 1996-1997 SummerBox 2, Folder 10
- Class lists, 1997-1998 FallBox 2, Folder 11
- Class lists, 1997-1998 WinterBox 2, Folder 12
- Class lists, 1997-1998 SpringBox 2, Folder 13
- Class lists, 1997-1998 SummerBox 2, Folder 14