Guide to the Northwestern University Settlement Association Records Scrapbooks

Collection Title: Northwestern University Settlement Association Records Scrapbooks
Dates: 1917-1984
Identification: 41/7
Creator: Northwestern University Settlement (Chicago, Ill.)
Extent: 16 Boxes
Language of Materials: English
Abstract: The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 by a group of administrators and faculty from Northwestern University in order to provide social services, educational programs, referrals, and emergency relief to a poor immigrant neighborhood on Chicago's near northwest side.The scrapbooks in this series, compiled by different groups associated with the Northwestern University Settlement, typically contain newspaper clippings, programs, photographs, and other printed materials.
Acquisition Information: These scrapbooks were separated from Accession #94-70, donated to the University Archives by the Northwestern University Settlement via Executive Director Ron Manderschied and Doris Overboe on June 7, 1994.
Processing Information: Rachel Erlich, August 1996.
Separated Materials: None.
Conditions Governing Access: None.
Related Materials: The records' original arrangement, in alphabetical order by subject, was retained, but several large, coherent categories were separated from the General Administrative Files, organized separately, and assigned their own series numbers.The following is a list of each separated series. Listed is the corresponding Series Number, Title, Dates, and Volume for each separation41/1; General Administrative Files; 1891-1995; 76 boxes41/2; Case Files; 1908-1976; 91 boxes41/3; Delinquent Boys Case Files; 1929-31, 1938-9; 7 boxes41/4; Financial Records; 1918-1971; 29 boxes41/5; Clubs and Classes Attendance and Registration Cards; 1936-1953; 25 boxes41/6; Photographs; 1890-1991; 8 boxes41/7; Scrapbooks; 1892-1984; 20 boxes41/8; Evanston Woman’s Board; 1911-1990; 7 boxes41/9; North Shore Junior Board; 1937-1992; 14 boxes41/10; Lenora E. Clark Diary; 1906-1910; 1 box41/11; Food Client Records; 1985-1986; 3 boxes
Repository: Northwestern University Archives
Deering Library, Room 110
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL, 60208-2300
URL: http://www.library.northwestern.edu/archives
Email: archives@northwestern.edu
Phone: 847-491-3354

Biographical/Historical Information

The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 by Northwestern University president Henry Wade Rogers, his wife, Emma Winner Rogers, and Charles Zeublin, a Northwestern alumnus, class of 1887. Zeublin had returned to Chicago after having spent time at the first university settlement, Toynbee Hall, in London. He and the Rogers wanted to forge a tie between the settlement they were planning to establish in Chicago and Northwestern University. From the beginning, however, the Settlement’s link with the University was based on the support and involvement of individuals variously connected with Northwestern rather than through a formal association with the University.

The founders selected a poor, primarily immigrant neighborhood on the near northwest side of Chicago for the site of the Settlement. At the time, the area’s residents were primarily Polish and Catholic, although other groups were represented, including Russian and Polish Jews, Germans, and Scandinavians. The neighborhood remained primarily Polish until the 1950s when it became home mainly to residents of Puerto Rican origin and ancestry.

In early 1892, Northwestern University Settlement rented a six-room apartment over a feed store at 143 West Division. Another rented space, “Evanston Hall,” at 225 West Division, served as a reading room and club meeting hall. These spaces were quickly outgrown and the Settlement moved to 26 West Rice Street, and later to 252 West Chicago Avenue. In 1901 the Settlement moved into its own newly-constructed building on the northwest corner of Augusta Boulevard and Noble Street (1400 West Augusta), a building it still occupies. A playground was built on the roof of the building in 1911, and in the 1950s, the Settlement built its Allison Gymnasium on an adjoining lot. More recently a new “Evanston Hall” community center was added to the complex.

In accordance with the founding concept of the settlement movement, the Northwestern University Settlement was staffed by resident workers, most of whom volunteered their services. As many as twenty-two residents lived on the premises at one time, assisted by up to one hundred and fifty non-resident volunteer or paid workers. The number of residents declined after the Second World War, as residents who retired or left the Settlement were replaced by non-resident staff.

The Settlement is strongly identified with the personalities of two important, long-term Head Residents, Harriet E. Vittum and Michael Rachwalski. Harriet Vittum (1872-1953) joined the Settlement as a volunteer in 1904, became Head Resident in 1907, and served in this capacity until 1947. She was involved in many activities beyond the Settlement, including an unsuccessful bid for alderman in 1914, serving as chair of the Woman’s Campaign for Charles Evans Hughes in his 1916 Presidential race, forming the Roll Call of American Women (an isolationist group which later merged with America First) in 1940, and delivering numerous speeches promoting social service and political involvement.

Michael Rachwalski (1901-1987) grew up in the Settlement neighborhood, and participated in many of the Settlement’s activities. He returned from World War I military service to join the Settlement staff, serving as Director of the Men’s Department and then Assistant Head Resident. In 1943, Rachwalski married another resident, Helen Loth Blomgren (1900-1977). He succeeded Vitum as Head Resident in 1947 and held the post until his retirement in 1981. Rachwalski was the last Head Resident to reside at the Settlement. Executive Director Ron Mandershied succeeded Rachwalski in 1981.

To meet the needs of its constituency, the Settlement both undertook activities to improve the conditions of the neighborhood and worked to help residents through its clubs and classes, social events, camping programs, and relief and emergency services. The Settlement also has been affiliated with such social service agencies as the Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago and the Chicago and National Federations of Settlements and Neighborhood Centers.

Activities of the Settlement were organized into departments according to the group or function served, such as the Little Children’s Department, the Men’s Department and the Health Department. Staff taught classes in music, elocution, English, arts and crafts, domestic science, health and hygiene, dance, and athletics. A day nursery was established in 1897 to provide for neighborhood children with working mothers. The Settlement offered citizenship classes from its earliest years. It also offered programs subsidized by governmental agencies, such as the Works Progress Administration’s Emergency Education Program in the 1930s or the Model Cities’ Summer Youth Employment Program in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Settlement’s clubs served all ages and interest groups, and ranged from the Boy Scouts to the Teens’ Club, Fathers’ Club, and Golden Agers. The umbrella organization for the clubs was the Neighborhood Guild, organized in 1904, which included members from each Settlement club and department. In 1914 the Guild took over the publication of the Neighbor, a Settlement newsletter begun in 1899. The Settlement also served as a social center, furnishing game rooms, a library, meeting rooms and, for a short time, a bakery and coffee house, as well as sponsoring cultural and athletic events and hosting parties.

One of the longest-running programs offered by the Settlement has been its camping program. As early as 1897 the Settlement sponsored summer vacations for neighborhood children. By 1911, the Settlement Boy Scout troop had established a campsite outside the city, the House in the Wood, which was used by boys and girls until the 1920s. A second House in the Wood, located in a Cook County Forest Preserve, was replaced in 1952 when the Settlement acquired a large site on Lake Delavan in Wisconsin. Each summer groups of children and senior citizens attend this camp for a week or two at a time. Year-round programs have been offered since 1983 and in 1988 a conference center opened on the site.

Although the Settlement is not a charitable organization, its mission has always included furnishing emergency services to the residents in its neighborhood. During the Great Depression the Settlement provided both relief and employment assistance as well as vocational training workshops. The Settlement continues to distribute food baskets at Christmas, provide emergency supplies through its Food Pantry and used clothing repository, and offer emergency counseling and referrals to social service agencies. Settlement workers also made home visits, gave legal advice, and accompanied neighborhood residents to court.

The organizational structure of the Northwestern University Settlement Association has remained essentially the same over the years. The Board of Directors, originally called the Council, manages the Settlement’s funds and affairs, assisted by an advisory Executive Committee or Central Committee. These advisory boards include representatives from each of the auxiliary boards. The primary function of the auxiliary boards has been fund-raising. The oldest extant auxiliary board, the Evanston Woman’s Board, was formed in 1909. The North Shore Junior Board was organized in 1936 to help fund the camping activities at the House in the Wood.

Contributions from the Board of Directors and the auxiliary boards provided the largest source of funds for the Settlement until the 1980s when investment income became its financial mainstay. Even with the support of the boards, funding for the Settlement has always been an ongoing and time-consuming challenge. After 1934, the Settlement obtained between one-sixth and one-fourth of its funding from the Chicago Community Fund of the United Way. The Settlement continues to augment its funds with grants from local and federal governmental agencies.

In 1992, led by Executive Director Ron Manderschied and Board President Daniel Vittum, the Northwestern University Settlement Association (NUSA) celebrated its centennial anniversary of service to the West Town community. The Settlement continued to enhance the quality and scope of its operations. Through the fundraising activities of the various auxiliary boards, as well as grant funding, the Settlement was able to provide its West Town neighbors with new services and expansions to the Settlement building, including Evanston Hall and the Vittum Theater, which soon housed innovative arts programs.

A number of social services, such as the Northwestern Legal Aid Clinic, began operating through offices within the Settlement. West Town Tile, an entrepreneurial program, linked neighborhood women with jobs in the West Town Tile Center. NUSA embarked on a reduction of gang presence in the West Town/ Humboldt Park community by promoting a gang-free environment within the Settlement, and by working with the City of Chicago to transform the through street immediately outside the building into a cul-de-sac, which greatly reduced gang and drug activity.

The Settlement continually expanded its group activities and support services for all ages. Especially exciting for the Settlement was the Matadors Boxing Club, a sports club managed through the Settlement, which saw great success from 1990 to 1999. Two of the Matadors who trained through the Settlement went on to the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia; one of them, Nate Jones, earned a bronze medal. Several other boxers also competed very successfully in national competitions, bringing national recognition to Coach Tom O’Shea and the Matadors Boxing Club.

Starting in 1998, government-funded Americorps employees began to join the Settlement staff to help strengthen programs and services. Also in 1998 the Settlement initiated plans for its own public charter school, the Noble Street Charter School. After approval from the Central Office of the Chicago Public Schools, Noble Street Charter School opened its doors in 1999.

For more information on the Northwestern University Settlement Association, see The Worn Doorstep, written by Mark Wukas (Chicago: Northwestern University Settlement Association, 1991) to mark the centennial of the Settlement. See also the Neighbor, filed with the University Archives serial publications collection.

Scope and Content

The scrapbooks in this series, compiled by different groups associated with the Northwestern University Settlement, typically contain newspaper clippings, programs, photographs, and other printed materials. Additional material related to many of these scrapbooks can be found in series 41/1, the Northwestern University Settlement Association General Files.

Addition 1, Boxes 17-19

The fifteen scrapbooks in this addition are arranged by format, and span the years 1910-1950. With the exception of the three scrapbooks relating to the Charles Evans Hughes presidential campaign (described below), the scrapbooks contain black-and-white photographs, some taken by commercial photographers (mostly 8x10) and some candids ranging in size from 2x3 to 5x7. Subjects include individual and group photos of Settlement personnel and participants in Settlement programs; activities such as banquets, picnics, dances, and parades; and sites including the Settlement house and its west-side neighborhood, and rural retreats at Camp Channing and the House in the Woods. Many photographs are not identified, some photos have been removed, and some pages are mislabeled. The older scrapbooks are in poor condition, with crumbling pages and a number of glue-damaged photographs.

The scrapbooks in Box 17 provide a unique and personalized record of the 1916 presidential campaign of Charles Evans Hughes. The scrapbooks belonged to Harriet Vittum, longtime Head Resident at the Northwestern University Settlement, who headed the Chicago Republican Woman's Campaign for Hughes. Vittum was involved in the Woman's Campaign Train which crossed the country between October 2 and November 4, 1916, with prominent women stumping for Hughes at stops along the way. The three large scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings and ephemera from across the United States. One scrapbook focuses on women's issues in relation to Hughes' campaign (including Vittum's work on the Woman's Campaign). The second contains materials relating to the Woman's Campaign train. In contrast to the other two, the clippings and other items in the third scrapbook illustrate the role of women's issues in the Woodrow Wilson presidential campaign.

Materials in Box 18 include three large, fragile albums filled with photographs dating from 1910 to 1919. One of these scrapbooks includes snapshots of army inductees from the neighborhood, circa 1916 to 1918, many with the recruit's name written beneath the photograph; more such snapshots are contained in folders 1 and 2, which were removed from a deteriorated scrapbook. A smaller scrapbook, with items dating from 1928 to 1930 and inscribed with a dedication to Miss Vittum, was compiled by a young man named Maloski, and is filled with photographs of his family's farm, Settlement activities, and the city of Chicago. A small scrapbook, probably from the 1940s, contains photographs of Settlement children, with a few newspaper clippings. Another small scrapbook holds eight pages of photographs of the Chicago apartment to which Harriet Vittum retired after forty years as Head Resident (Miss Vittum appears in two of the photographs). Several loose, undated scrapbook pages have pages from a book of nature poetry glued to them. One page shows a drawing of the Settlement House and a copy of its theme, song, and motto.

Box 19 holds four scrapbooks with photographs spanning the early years of Michael Rachwalski's Head Residency, 1947-1950 (some date to 1946). There are many 8x10 photographs of Settlement clubs, programs, and events. There are also a number of 3-1/2x5 and 5x7 photographs. Many of the pages are labeled, but photographs have been moved around and some placed on incorrect pages.

Addition 2, Box 20

This series consists of five scrapbooks and one plaque. The oldest scrapbook, labeled “Settlement Clippings, Book I” dates from shortly after the founding of the Settlement. Over fifty pages of newspaper clippings describe the Settlement and its goals and activities between 1892 and 1905. Clippings were taken from ten or fifteen different newspapers (mostly from Chicago, Evanston, and suburbs). Also included are a few announcement cards and a program, with dates as late as 1907.

A black scrapbook, embossed with red and gold Santa Clauses, is not labeled. It contains about twenty pages of Christmas, Valentine's Day, and other holiday cards, along with various postcards, advertising cards, and other mementos. Some are loose, some are pasted in; one or tow loose postcards are addressed to Harriet Vittum, but only one date – 1908 – is visible.

An untitled scrapbook documents the involvement of Northwestern University student volunteers at the Settlement between 1929 and 1934. The scrapbook is divided into categories, beginning with reports by students from various organizations. These are followed by a copy of a speech by Gordon McNicol, the student volunteer coordinator, recommending volunteer work to sociology students. There are lists of student club-leaders, several pages of typed “Settlement Stories,” reports by sociology student volunteers, and clippings about student volunteer work from the Daily Northwestern. The last twenty pages contain correspondence, mostly between McNicol and students. A loose photograph in the front of the scrapbook is identified as the Northwestern University Student Fellowship Board, 1919-20.

A scrapbook embossed “NUS” and “1937” contains the statement of purpose and membership signature pages for what is described on the title page as “The Order of Upsilon Sigma of Northwestern University Settlement.” This organization was connected with the Department of Boys' Work of the Settlement. Michael Rachwalski's name, along with fourteen others, appears on the first signature page, with the date May 11, 1937. New members totaled eleven over the next three years, and none signed on for 1942, the last typed page.

The scrapbook labeled “North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity,” belonged to Mrs. James Loring (Marion Field) Peirce. The North Shore Junior Board was founded in 1936 to arrange fundraising events to finance the Settlement's House-in-the-Wood camping facility, as well as to volunteer at the Settlement itself. Mrs. Peirce, a long-time board member, was president from 1942 to 1944. The scrapbook, however, covers a much longer time period, including newspaper clippings, programs, directories, and correspondence chronicling the activities of the Board between 1939 and 1957.

On November 1, 1958, Parent's Magazine awarded the Youth Group Achievement Award for Outstanding Service to the Community to the Junior Service League (Oak Park, IL) of the Northwestern University Settlement. The award is mounted on a 10″ x 13″ wooden plaque.

Arrangement of Materials

The records' original arrangement, in alphabetical order by subject, was retained, but several large, coherent categories were separated from the General Administrative Files, organized separately, and assigned their own series numbers.

Subjects

Corporate Name

Northwestern University Settlement (Chicago, Ill.)

Personal Name

Hughes, Charles Evans, 1862-1948

Vittum, Harriet E. (Harriet Elizabeth), 1872-1953--Biography

Subjects

Presidents--United States--Election --1916

Social service--Illinois--Chicago--Societies, etc.

Social settlements--Illinois--Chicago


Container List / Contents

  • Northwestern University Settlement Neighborhood Guild Scrapbook, 1931-1944Box 1, Item 1
  • Northwestern University Settlement Scrapbook of Addresses, 1941Box 2, Item 1
  • Northwestern University Settlement Boys' Club Scrapbook of State Governor portraits, letters, and autographs, 1931Box 2, Item 2
  • Northwestern University Settlement Publicity Scrapbook, 1947-1950Box 3, Item 1
  • Northwestern University Settlement General Scrapbook, 1945, 1950-1951Box 4, Item 1
      Note:  Note: Includes the 1945 Annual Report and the 1951 Chicago Council Heritage of Youth Program
  • Camp House in the Woods Boy Scout Scrapbook, 1952Box 5, Item 1
      Note:  Note: Includes Harriet Vittum
  • National Federation of Settlements framed group photograph, 1917Box 5, Item 2
  • Northwestern University Settlement Print Shop Scrapbook, 1928-1939Box 6, Item 1
      Note:  Includes samples of work done for the Settlement
  • Northwestern University Settlement Print Shop Scrapbook, 1930-1937Box 7, Item 1
      Note:  Includes samples of work done for the Settlement
  • Northwestern University Settlement Print Shop Scrapbook, 1938-1945Box 8, Item 1
      Note:  Includes samples of work done for the Settlement
  • Northwestern University Settlement Print Shop Scrapbook, 1939-1942Box 9, Item 1
  • Evanston Woman's Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Scrapbook, 1942-1953Box 10, Item 1
  • Evanston Woman's Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Scrapbook, 1954-1978Box 10, Item 2
  • Evanston Woman's Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Scrapbook, 1977-1984Box 10, Item 3
  • Northwestern University Settlement Junior Board, Publicity Scrapbook (Evanston and North Shore), 1939-1950Box 11, Item 1
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity Scrapbook, 1952-1953Box 12, Item 1
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity Scrapbook, 1960-1961Box 13, Item 1
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Scrapbook, 1963Box 13, Item 2
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Antique Show Publicity Scrapbook, 1965Box 13, Item 3
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity Scrapbook, 1966-1967Box 14, Item 1
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity Scrapbook, 1967-1968Box 14, Item 2
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity Scrapbook, 1968-1969Box 14, Item 3
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Antiques Show Scrapbook, 1971Box 15, Item 1
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Scrapbook, 1972Box 15, Item 2
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity and Photograph Scrapbook, 1977-1979Box 15, Item 3
  • North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity and Photograph Scrapbook, 1981-1982Box 15, Item 4
  • Oak Park Junior Service Board Scrapbook, 1928-1940Box 16, Item 1
  • First Addition
      Separated materials:  None Scope and Contents: The fifteen scrapbooks in this addition are arranged by format, and span the years 1910-1950. With the exception of the three scrapbooks relating to the Charles Evans Hughes presidential campaign (described below), the scrapbooks contain black-and-white photographs, some taken by commercial photographers (mostly 8x10) and some candids ranging in size from 2x3 to 5x7. Subjects include individual and group photos of Settlement personnel and participants in Settlement programs; activities such as banquets, picnics, dances, and parades; and sites including the Settlement house and its west-side neighborhood, and rural retreats at Camp Channing and the House in the Woods. Many photographs are not identified, some photos have been removed, and some pages are mislabeled. The older scrapbooks are in poor condition, with crumbling pages and a number of glue-damaged photographs.The scrapbooks in Box 17 provide a unique and personalized record of the 1916 presidential campaign of Charles Evans Hughes. The scrapbooks belonged to Harriet Vittum, longtime Head Resident at the Northwestern University Settlement, who headed the Chicago Republican Woman's Campaign for Hughes. Vittum was involved in the Woman's Campaign Train which crossed the country between October 2 and November 4, 1916, with prominent women stumping for Hughes at stops along the way. The three large scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings and ephemera from across the United States. One scrapbook focuses on women's issues in relation to Hughes' campaign (including Vittum's work on the Woman's Campaign). The second contains materials relating to the Woman's Campaign train. In contrast to the other two, the clippings and other items in the third scrapbook illustrate the role of women's issues in the Woodrow Wilson presidential campaign.Materials in Box 18 include three large, fragile albums filled with photographs dating from 1910 to 1919. One of these scrapbooks includes snapshots of army inductees from the neighborhood, circa 1916 to 1918, many with the recruit's name written beneath the photograph; more such snapshots are contained in folders 1 and 2, which were removed from a deteriorated scrapbook. A smaller scrapbook, with items dating from 1928 to 1930 and inscribed with a dedication to Miss Vittum, was compiled by a young man named Maloski, and is filled with photographs of his family's farm, Settlement activities, and the city of Chicago. A small scrapbook, probably from the 1940s, contains photographs of Settlement children, with a few newspaper clippings. Another small scrapbook holds eight pages of photographs of the Chicago apartment to which Harriet Vittum retired after forty years as Head Resident (Miss Vittum appears in two of the photographs). Several loose, undated scrapbook pages have pages from a book of nature poetry glued to them. One page shows a drawing of the Settlement House and a copy of its theme, song, and motto.Box 19 holds four scrapbooks with photographs spanning the early years of Michael Rachwalski's Head Residency, 1947-1950 (some date to 1946). There are many 8x10 photographs of Settlement clubs, programs, and events. There are also a number of 3-1/2x5 and 5x7 photographs. Many of the pages are labeled, but photographs have been moved around and some placed on incorrect pages.
    • Pages from untitled scrapbook, 1917-1919Box 18, Folder 1
    • Pages from untitled scrapbook, 1917-1919Box 18, Folder 2
    • Scrapbook pages with nature poetry, n.d.Box 18, Folder 3
    • Photocopies of articles, 1912-1947Box 18, Folder 4
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, 1910-1920Box 18
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, 1911-1918Box 18
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, 1917-1918Box 18
    • Scrapbook dedicated to Harriet Vittum, 1928-1930 (?)Box 18
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, n.d. (1940s)Box 18
    • Scrapbook: 53 East Elm Street, Chicago, n.d. (1940s)Box 18
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, 1946-1950Box 19, Item 1
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, 1947Box 19, Item 2
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, 1947-1948Box 19, Item 3
    • Untitled scrapbook, Northwestern University Settlement, n.d. (1940s)Box 19, Item 4
    • Charles E. Hughes Campaign
        Note:  Scrapbook 3: Clippings, etc., about women's issues in relation to Woodrow Wilson's campaign for President in 1916 Note:  Scrapbook 2: Clippings, etc., relating to the Woman's Campaign Train, which carried women across the country (October 2-November 4, 1916) to campaign for Hughes Note:  Scrapbook 1: Clippings, etc., about women's issues in relation to Charles Evans Hughes' campaign for President in 1916 (including Harriet Vittum's work on the Chicago Woman's Campaign). Note:  The three scrapbooks retain their original organization as follows: Note:  In October 2000 the three scrapbooks relating to the Charles Evans Hughes campaign were treated by the Northwestern University Library Conservation Department. The pages of overlapping, yellowed and brittle newspaper clippings were removed from the scrapbooks, flattened, glued to acid-free paper, and photocopied onto acid-free paper; pages were numbered as they had been in the original volumes. Pamphlets and other items that had been glued in to the scrapbooks were removed and deacidified as necessary. Although the original clippings have been retained, the photocopied pages will be considered as the pages of record. Each scrapbook is contained in one folder, retaining the same page order as the original, with loose clippings, pamphlets, and other materials enclosed in smaller folders within each scrapbook. The materials removed from Scrapbook 3—pamphlets, itineraries, speeches, and other materials—have been enclosed in three smaller folders based on size.
      • Charles E. Hughes Campaign: women's issues, 1916Box 17, Item 1
      • Charles E. Hughes Campaign: Woman's Campaign Train, 1916Box 17, Item 2
      • Charles E. Hughes Campaign: Woodrow Wilson, 1916Box 17, Item 3
  • Second Addition
      Separated materials:  None Scope and Contents: This series consists of five scrapbooks and one plaque. The oldest scrapbook, labeled “Settlement Clippings, Book I” dates from shortly after the founding of the Settlement. Over fifty pages of newspaper clippings describe the Settlement and its goals and activities between 1892 and 1905. Clippings were taken from ten or fifteen different newspapers (mostly from Chicago, Evanston, and suburbs). Also included are a few announcement cards and a program, with dates as late as 1907. A black scrapbook, embossed with red and gold Santa Clauses, is not labeled. It contains about twenty pages of Christmas, Valentine's Day, and other holiday cards, along with various postcards, advertising cards, and other mementos. Some are loose, some are pasted in; one or tow loose postcards are addressed to Harriet Vittum, but only one date – 1908 – is visible. An untitled scrapbook documents the involvement of Northwestern University student volunteers at the Settlement between 1929 and 1934. The scrapbook is divided into categories, beginning with reports by students from various organizations. These are followed by a copy of a speech by Gordon McNicol, the student volunteer coordinator, recommending volunteer work to sociology students. There are lists of student club-leaders, several pages of typed “Settlement Stories,” reports by sociology student volunteers, and clippings about student volunteer work from the Daily Northwestern. The last twenty pages contain correspondence, mostly between McNicol and students. A loose photograph in the front of the scrapbook is identified as the Northwestern University Student Fellowship Board, 1919-20. A scrapbook embossed “NUS” and “1937” contains the statement of purpose and membership signature pages for what is described on the title page as “The Order of Upsilon Sigma of Northwestern University Settlement.” This organization was connected with the Department of Boys' Work of the Settlement. Michael Rachwalski's name, along with fourteen others, appears on the first signature page, with the date May 11, 1937. New members totaled eleven over the next three years, and none signed on for 1942, the last typed page. The scrapbook labeled “North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity,” belonged to Mrs. James Loring (Marion Field) Peirce. The North Shore Junior Board was founded in 1936 to arrange fundraising events to finance the Settlement's House-in-the-Wood camping facility, as well as to volunteer at the Settlement itself. Mrs. Peirce, a long-time board member, was president from 1942 to 1944. The scrapbook, however, covers a much longer time period, including newspaper clippings, programs, directories, and correspondence chronicling the activities of the Board between 1939 and 1957. On November 1, 1958, Parent's Magazine awarded the Youth Group Achievement Award for Outstanding Service to the Community to the Junior Service League (Oak Park, IL) of the Northwestern University Settlement. The award is mounted on a 10″ x 13″ wooden plaque.
    • Scrapbook: Settlement clippings, Book I, 1892-1907Box 20, Item 1
    • Scrapbook: Miscellaneous holiday cards, etc., collected by Harriet Vittum, 1908Box 20, Item 2
    • Scrapbook: Northwestern University Student Volunteers At the Settlement, 1929-1934Box 20, Item 3
    • Scrapbook: Order of Upsilon Sigma of Northwestern University Settlement, 1937-1942Box 20, Item 4
    • Scrapbook: North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement, Publicity, 1939-1957Box 20, Item 5
    • Plaque: Parent's Magazine Youth Group Achievement Award Presented to the Junior Service League (Oak Park), 1958Box 20, Item 6