Skip to main content

Phi Beta. Alpha Chapter (Northwestern University)

 Organization

The Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta was founded on the campus of Northwestern University in 1912 by Gladys Burnside, Elsie Schultz, and Josephine Mack. In 1914 the fraternity incorporated under Illinois Laws. Its first home was located at 1928 Sherman Avenue in Evanston, Illinois.

Phi Beta was a professional fraternity organized to “promote the best in music and speech.” Among its activities and interests were sponsorship of entertainment and educational services for members of the armed forces and the handicapped, the recognition of young and talented performers in music and speech, and the promotion of community musical and theatrical companies and performances.

Membership in Phi Beta was open to women with an academic major or minor in music, speech, or the theatre arts or by special permission of other members. Members were required to maintain an academic grade average of B with no grades lower than C being acceptable to retain active membership. A seven member national council governed Phi Beta.

Alpha Chapter appears to have become defunct in the early 1980s. At that time references to it disappear from Northwestern's listings of campus organizations.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Records of the Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta

 Collection
Identifier: 31/6/36
Abstract The series is made up of the surviving records of the Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta fraternity. Most of the records date from the period 1960-1973. Included are budgetary and financial records; rosters of fraternity chapters and of Alpha Chapter officers; procedural guides and handbooks; clippings; a few copies of constitutions and bylaws; a small amount of correspondence; materials relating to chapter-sponsored projects, musical revues and performances; and records pertaining to chapter patrons.
Dates: 1912-1980, and undated