Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Medical Council
The Medical Council is the executive branch of Northwestern University Medical School. Its primary purpose is to manage the internal affairs of the school, formulating and administering policy. Recommendations on appointments and other important issues are channeled through the President to the Board of Trustees for approval, modification, or rejection.
Established in 1906 by University Trustees, the Medical Council served as an Advisory Council that would represent the main divisions of the medical curriculum. Also, the board was to include those members of the Faculty who had been longest identified with the work of medical education. This body, meeting first on July, 1906, was an extension of the previous Executive Committee. Nine faculty members (not including the Dean) were chosen for the council. In 1909, the group officially changed its name to Medical Council. Members of the Council were originally elected, but annual membership soon became appointive. During the 1940s, membership averaged approximately 30, including the president of the University and the Dean of Faculties.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The Medical Council Records fill two boxes and date between 1914 to 1949, with the bulk of the records dating between 1943 and 1949, documenting the Medical School deanship of J. Roscoe Miller. Records consist primarily of notes and minutes of the meetings held within this time period.