Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Anthropology
The Northwestern University Department of Anthropology was among the second generation of anthropology departments in the United States. It was founded in 1938, when it was formally separated from the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. Melville J. Herskovits, who joined the Sociology Department's faculty in 1927 as Assistant Professor of Anthropology, was instrumental in developing the four-field Anthropology Department at Northwestern (sociocultural, biological, and linguistic anthropology, and archaeology).
In 1929 the Department of Sociology was renamed the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. Herskovits served as Chair of the Anthropology Department from its founding in 1938 until 1956. The Department awarded its first Ph.D. in 1939 to William R. Bascom, who immediately joined the Northwestern faculty and later served as Chair of the Anthropology Department in 1956-57.
In 1943, Northwestern University purchased the anthropology library of the late Professor Franz Boas, under whom Herskovits had studied at Columbia University. The collection, some 5,000 volumes and 10,000 reprints, was considered one of the largest and most complete collections of its time and was named the Franz Boas Memorial Library in Anthropology at Deering Library.
When Herskovits founded Northwestern's Program in African Studies in 1948, it was the first formally instituted interdisciplinary African Studies program at a university in the United States. Northwestern, with its Herskovits Africana Collection, is now considered one of the nation's leading centers of African Studies. Under Herskovits' direction, and with a generous grant from the Carnegie Corporation, Northwestern established an African Study Center in 1952. Herskovits was appointed Chair of African Studies in 1961. He died in 1963.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
The Records of the Anthropology Department, filling five boxes, span the years 1964 to 1973. No records exist for the 1965-66 academic year. The bulk of the records fall between 1964 and 1969 and include, but are not limited to, annual reports, applications for graduate study or employment, budgets, correspondence, curriculum, department memos, faculty curriculum vitae, and materials relating to fellowships, the Program of African Studies, research proposals, and summer sessions.
Dating from 1940-2000 and filling 45 boxes, the Francis L. K. Hsu Papers document Hsu's prominence as an anthropology professor and scholar specializing in kinship patterns and cultural comparisons between large, literate societies, namely, the United States, China, India, and Japan. The papers consist of biographical materials, correspondence, teaching files, student files, research files and notebooks, interview transcripts, lecture/conference notes and records, and publication files.
Oswald Werner joined the faculty of Northwestern in 1963 and remained until his retirement in 1998. His research focused on linguistics as well as cultural anthropology, particularly as they related to the Navajo. The Oswald Werner Papers fill forty-one boxes and span the years 1959 to 2007. They are arranged into six major categories: biographical materials, correspondence, Northwestern University general files, Northwestern University teaching materials, grants files, and publications.
- Subject: Anthropology X