Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art
The Department of Art came under the auspices of the College of Liberal Arts during the 1923-24 academic year after previously having been a department of the School of Music. The department offered both studio art courses and instruction in the history of art from 1923 until 1972. In June 1970 the chairman of the department formally requested that the department of art be divided into two separate departments of art and art history. Two years later, in June 1972, this request was formally approved.
Art History became a distinct department with its own chairman and faculty, and the Art Department was retained as a department concerned with education in the practice of art. For further information see J. Carson Webster's "History of the Department of Art" in the Department of Art file, Archives General Reference Files.
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract painter William Conger has had many solo and group exhibitions, has placed works in significant public, corporate, and private collections, and has taught in college art programs for 40 years, including teaching at Northwestern from 1985-2006. The Papers include correspondence, teaching materials, biographical materials, administrative records, and materials pertaining to talks and lectures.
Correspondence and related materials documenting exhibition planning and scheduling, loan arrangements, and promotional materials of the Northwestern University Department of Art's Centennial Loan Exhibition of Modern Painting.
The records of Northwestern University's Department of Art, contained in four boxes, are arranged in five subseries: correspondence, personnel files, departmental administrative files, student records and departmental financial records. The original collection covers the years 1956-1971; an addition extends covedrage in some areas back to 1941.
This series is comprised of two scrapbooks, both of which include clippings, leaflets, and press releases pertaining to departmental activities, faculty, and students. The first scrapbook spans the years from 1946 to 1951 and the second dates from 1951 to 1959.