Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art

 Organization

The Department of Art came under the auspices of the College of Liberal Arts during the 1923-24 academic year after previously having been a department of the School of Music. The department offered both studio art courses and instruction in the history of art from 1923 until 1972. In June 1970 the chairman of the department formally requested that the department of art be divided into two separate departments of art and art history. Two years later, in June 1972, this request was formally approved.

Art History became a distinct department with its own chairman and faculty, and the Art Department was retained as a department concerned with education in the practice of art. For further information see J. Carson Webster's "History of the Department of Art" in the Department of Art file, Archives General Reference Files.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Records of the Department Of Art Centennial Loan Exhibition Of Modern Paintings

 Collection
Identifier: 11/3/3/3
Abstract Correspondence and related materials documenting exhibition planning and scheduling, loan arrangements, and promotional materials of the Northwestern University Department of Art's Centennial Loan Exhibition of Modern Painting.