Skip to main content

Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Technological Institute

 Organization

On March 20, 1939, the Northwestern University School of Engineering, formed in 1908, became the Technological Institute through an agreement signed between Northwestern University and the Murphy Foundation. This event formalized Northwestern's receipt of the significant bequest of Walter Patten Murphy. The Technological Institute opened in 1942 and consisted of Schools of Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. The Technological Institute also integrated a science component to the curriculum in conjunction with the College of Arts and Sciences, thereby expanding the School of Engineering's previous focus on non-science based engineering.

From the start, the Technological Institute combined traditional classroom instruction with a work-study program (The Cooperative Program) that enabled undergraduate and graduate students to gain valuable hands-on engineering work experience with participating firms. During World War II, the Technological Institute participated with the United States Navy in several important training programs, including the Naval V-12 Unit (Navy College Training Program). The Technological Institute was also involved with other military training and non-engineering activities, such as the Army Signal Corps Officers Training School. After the war, the Technological Institute enrollment was swollen with returning veterans under the G.I. Bill, and in 1946, a limit of 1,000 students was imposed to guarantee quality and manageable instruction.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Harold B. Gotaas (1906-1977) Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 22/4/4
Abstract Harold Gotaas came to Northwestern as professor of civil engineering and dean of the Technological Institute; he retired as dean in 1970 but continued to teach until his retirement in 1975.  The papers document Gotaas' academic career through course materials and publications, and include research and consulting files.
Dates: 1928-1977

Wallis S. Hamilton (1911-2001) Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 22/4/9
Abstract Wallis S. Hamilton Hamilton came to Northwestern University in 1943 as a lecturer in civil engineering, eventually becoming a full professor in 1953. Hamilton's research interests included velocity patterns around ship models, resistance of barges and spray characteristics and directional stability of taxiing flying boats. He also studied the effects of waves, damage from cavitation and the body forces and properties of the crust and mantle of the earth. His papers fill eleven boxes and span...
Dates: 1935-1984

Jimmie E. Quon (1934-1981) Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 22/4/1
Abstract Civil Engineering Professor Jimmie Earl Quon was a prolific author and speaker primarily on the topics of sanitary engineering and air pollution. He consulted for cities, states, and the federal government, as well as for various private businesses in the area of environmental quality. Quon came to Northwestern as Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering. In 1963 he was promoted to Associate Professor and in 1967 to Professor. In 1976 he became chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering....
Dates: 1954-1980