Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Klopsteg Lecture Committee

 Organization

Paul E. Klopsteg was professor of applied science and director of research of the Technological Institute at Northwestern University from 1944 to 1954. Prior to, and following that, he served Northwestern on advisory committees and as a consultant.

In 1943 he donated $12,500 to the Physics Department. In 1960, because of the greater availability of governmental research funds for the department, Klopsteg changed the purpose of the fund he had established to the support of an annual lecture or lecture series.

In the lectureship's first year, 1962, two lectures were given (Jan. 9 and Nov. 7). From 1963 through 1966, one lecture was given each year. No lecture was held in 1967. From 1968 through 1993, except 1992, one lecture has been given each year. Of the thirty lectures between 1962 and 1993, twenty-one were given in April or May. See the lecture brochures for 1982 and 1993 for lists of speakers and lecture titles for 1962-1982 and 1978-1993 respectively.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Records of the Klopsteg Lecture Committee

 Collection
Identifier: 0/11/12
Abstract Paul E. Klopsteg was professor of applied science and director of research of Northwestern University's Technological Institute from 1944 to 1954. In 1943 he donated $12,500 to the Physics Department. In 1960, because of the greater availability of governmental research funds for the department, Klopsteg changed the purpose of the fund he had established, to the support of an annual lecture or lecture series.