Skip to main content

Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Music

 Organization

The Northwestern University Department of Music, successor to the University's Conservatory of Music (1874-1892) existed from 1892 to 1895 as a division of Northwestern's College of Liberal Arts. The Department offered three courses of study: one for amateurs, another for aspiring professionals, and a third advanced course leading to the Bachelor of Music degree. Students successfully completing the advanced course received diplomas, those completing the professional course received certificates of attainment.

The School of Music supplanted the Department of Music in 1895. As its curriculum developed, the School sponsored a variety of programs of study. The curriculum included both certificate of attainment and performance programs and diploma programs. Diploma programs, leading to the Graduate in Music and Bachelor of Music degrees as well as the Diploma in Musical Proficiency, were either more extensive in scope or less narrowly professional than certificate programs.

The Northwestern University Catalogues and School of Music Announcements of Courses should be consulted as to specific Department and School of Music degree programs and courses of study.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Glenn Cliffe Bainum (1888-1974) Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 19/3/7
Abstract Bainum worked as a high school and junior college band instructor before becoming a professor of music, Director of Bands, and Director of the glee clubs at Northwestern University in 1926. Bainum retired in 1953. The Glenn Cliffe Bainum Papers fill twenty-seven boxes and span Bainum's life, with the bulk of the papers dating between the 1930s and the 1960s. Most of the materials in this collection consist of correspondence, records and photographs from Bainum's professional life after he...
Dates: 1888-1982

John P. Paynter (1928-1996) Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 19/3/9
Abstract Music professor and bandleader John Phillip Paynter, named for John Phillip Sousa, began his musical studies at Northwestern, graduating with a Bachelor of Music degree in 1950 and a Master's in Theory and Composition in 1951. Upon graduation, Paynter joined NU's faculty as the Director of the Marching Band. During his career at Northwestern, Paynter taught classes in band music, conducting, and arranging. The John P. Paynter Collection consists of six series titled Biographical Materials,...
Dates: 1923 - 2013