Skip to main content

Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Music

 Organization

The Northwestern University Department of Music, successor to the University's Conservatory of Music (1874-1892) existed from 1892 to 1895 as a division of Northwestern's College of Liberal Arts. The Department offered three courses of study: one for amateurs, another for aspiring professionals, and a third advanced course leading to the Bachelor of Music degree. Students successfully completing the advanced course received diplomas, those completing the professional course received certificates of attainment.

The School of Music supplanted the Department of Music in 1895. As its curriculum developed, the School sponsored a variety of programs of study. The curriculum included both certificate of attainment and performance programs and diploma programs. Diploma programs, leading to the Graduate in Music and Bachelor of Music degrees as well as the Diploma in Musical Proficiency, were either more extensive in scope or less narrowly professional than certificate programs.

The Northwestern University Catalogues and School of Music Announcements of Courses should be consulted as to specific Department and School of Music degree programs and courses of study.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Peter Christian Lutkin music manuscripts and papers

 Collection
Identifier: Lutkin
Abstract A collection of predominantly music manuscripts and scores with some papers by composer and former Northwestern University School of Music dean, Peter Christian Lutkin.
Dates: 1889 - 1946

Albert Noelte music manuscripts and papers

 Collection
Identifier: Noelte
Abstract The collection consists of music manuscript scores, music notebooks and lecture notebooks by former Northwestern University School of Music professor Albert Noelte. A few accompanying papers documenting either Noelte's career, background or tenure at Northwestern are also included.
Dates: 1885 - 1946