Skip to main content

Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Music

 Organization

The Northwestern University Department of Music, successor to the University's Conservatory of Music (1874-1892) existed from 1892 to 1895 as a division of Northwestern's College of Liberal Arts. The Department offered three courses of study: one for amateurs, another for aspiring professionals, and a third advanced course leading to the Bachelor of Music degree. Students successfully completing the advanced course received diplomas, those completing the professional course received certificates of attainment.

The School of Music supplanted the Department of Music in 1895. As its curriculum developed, the School sponsored a variety of programs of study. The curriculum included both certificate of attainment and performance programs and diploma programs. Diploma programs, leading to the Graduate in Music and Bachelor of Music degrees as well as the Diploma in Musical Proficiency, were either more extensive in scope or less narrowly professional than certificate programs.

The Northwestern University Catalogues and School of Music Announcements of Courses should be consulted as to specific Department and School of Music degree programs and courses of study.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

M. William Karlins (1932-2005) Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 19/3/12
Abstract Composer and music professor M. William Karlins came to Northwestern as an Associate Professor of Theory and Composition, and in 1973, he was appointed a full Professor. He was also the director of the Northwestern University Contemporary Music Ensemble from 1967 until his retirement in August 2001. The M. William Karlins Papers fill 12 boxes and consist almost exclusively of his musical works. The material spans the period 1953 to 2004, with the bulk of the materials dating between 1957 and...
Dates: 1953-2005