Skip to main content

Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Music

 Organization

The Northwestern University Department of Music, successor to the University's Conservatory of Music (1874-1892) existed from 1892 to 1895 as a division of Northwestern's College of Liberal Arts. The Department offered three courses of study: one for amateurs, another for aspiring professionals, and a third advanced course leading to the Bachelor of Music degree. Students successfully completing the advanced course received diplomas, those completing the professional course received certificates of attainment.

The School of Music supplanted the Department of Music in 1895. As its curriculum developed, the School sponsored a variety of programs of study. The curriculum included both certificate of attainment and performance programs and diploma programs. Diploma programs, leading to the Graduate in Music and Bachelor of Music degrees as well as the Diploma in Musical Proficiency, were either more extensive in scope or less narrowly professional than certificate programs.

The Northwestern University Catalogues and School of Music Announcements of Courses should be consulted as to specific Department and School of Music degree programs and courses of study.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Frederick L. Hemke (1935-2019) Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 19/3/11
Abstract In 1956, Frederick L. Hemke was appointed as Professor of Music at Northwestern University in 1975. Hemke was the Northwestern University faculty representative to the Big Ten Conference from 1981 to 2001 and served as the Big Ten faculty representative to the NCAA. He has served on numerous Big Ten committees, including the management review and finance committee where he served as chairman. The Frederick L. Hemke Papers span the years 1962 to 2004.The Papers document Hemke's career at...
Dates: 1962 - 2004; Other: Majority of material found within 1990 - 2000