Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Chapin Hall (Evanston, Ill.)

 Organization

Chapin Hall was erected on University-owned property in 1901 with funds provided by Dr. O. K. Pearsons. It was named for his sister-in-law, Julia Chapin. Pearsons stipulated that the new dormitory at 726 University Place be put in the charge of the Women's Educational Association (WEAA) to house up to 60 financially disadvantaged women.

The WEAA assumed the responsibility for running the dorm as a co-operative, but under the proviso that if it became unprofitable or undesireable to carry out the arrangement, WEAA involvement might be terminated with notice of one academic year. The WEAA tentatively exercised their option in 1966 when a financial dispute between the University and the WEAA led to the end of the women's organization's management of Chapin Hall.

Problems developed between the WEAA and the University over financial and other responsibilities. One such major disagreement concerned the WEAA allegations that NU was responsible for an estimated plumbing and electrical repair cost of $51,355.

On March of 1967, the WEAA and NU made a formal agreement clarifying each body's financial duties and insuring WEAA management of Chapin until June, 1968. The expense and time necessary to manage the dormitory proved too much for the WEAA, however. Over the 1967 Christmas vacation, 60 women were notified that Chapin was to become a university residence the following year.

Chapin remained a housing unit primarily for women on WEAA scholarship, although it was open to other women, until 1980, when it became a co-educational Humanities Residential College housing 80 undergraduates.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Student Life Chapin Hall Files

 Collection
Identifier: 31/6/7
Abstract Chapin Hall was erected on University-owned property in 1901 with funds provided by Dr. O. K. Pearsons. Pearsons stipulated that the new dormitory at 726 University Place be put in the charge of the Women's Educational Association (WEAA) to house up to 60 financially disadvantaged women. This series consists chiefly of records of Chapin's financial transactions from 1968 to 1975.