Northwestern University Preparatory School
Evanston Academy, which closed in 1917, had a history that dates back to 1859, when the Preparatory Department of Northwestern University, or the Preparatory School, was opened. The creation of the department was proposed by the Faculty of the College of Liberal Arts and approved by the Trustees of the University in 1857. In the absence of many quality secondary schools in the Chicago area and Midwest, a preparatory department was felt essential in ensuring that Northwestern would receive students prepared to do college work.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Volume: 1
Abstract This volume records the minutes of the Northwestern University Academy faculty meetings from September 26, 1904, to June 1, 1910. The Academy, formally organized in 1859 as the Northwestern University Preparatory School, was the first secondary school in the Chicago area, and a major source of the University's students. The minutes reflect the concerns of the Academy faculty in the daily operations of the school.