Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)
Found in 103 Collections and/or Records:
The Student War Council of Northwestern University was founded in the summer of 1941, and began its activities immediately following the outbreak of World War II. The records include the its constitution, the constitution of the Illinois Collegiate War Council, and minutes and committee reports of the Student War Council of Northwestern University (1941-1944).
Acquired over decades from a variety of sources, principally Northwestern University’s public relations units and as separations from the manuscript collections of Northwestern faculty and administrators, the photographic negatives in nitrate format date to the period of that format’s popularity, circa 1890 to circa 1950.
This series consists of six land books, detailing Northwestern University's real estate holdings and transactions from 1856 to 1942.
The University Circle was established in 1915 to "promote fellowship and to advance the interests of Northwestern University" among woman who held, or whose spouse held, an official connection with the University. Records include minutes; annual reports; President's files; officers' records and reports; committee materials; special interest group materials; financial records; publicity materials; and membership cards.
The Records of Northwestern University Librarian Jens Nyholm fill 32 boxes and document Nyholm's tenure as University Librarian from 1944-1968, including: correspondence, monthly and annual reports, employment applications, invoices, catalogs, surveys, and questionnaires. The bulk of the records consist of inter-university correspondence providing insight into the workings of the library during a period of expansion and transition. For Nyholm's personal papers, see Series 9/4/1.
This series consists of one volume of Student Army Training Corps (S.A.T.C.) dcoumenting its accounts during its existence at Northwestern during/post World War I.
Arthur Josiah Weiss (1894-1984) was a student at Northwestern University’s Evanston Academy and began studies at Northwestern University before transferring to the University of California. The collection consists of Weiss’s “Memory and Fellowship Book,” a scrapbook documenting his Evanston Academy experiences and various activities dating between 1912 and 1914.
David Hilton Wheeler (1829-1902) was a professor of English literature at Northwestern University, was elected as a trustee and executive officer of the faculty, and served as Northwestern's de facto acting president from 1868-1869. Wheeler's papers fill one half-sized box, span the years 1869-1966, and consist of biographical information and clippings, writings, and correspondence.
The Frances E. Willard papers are arranged in one half-size box and date between 1871 and 1978. Biographical materials, correspondence, materials related to a proposed marble statue, and a temperance pamphlet and petition are included.
This collection contains two costumes worn to embody the Northwestern University mascot, Willie the Wildcat. The costumes date from circa 1991-1995 and circa 1997-2000, and were generally employed at Northwestern athletic events. Each costume includes an oversized caricature wildcat head; an artificial fur suit worn over arms, legs, and torso; gloves; and footwear. The collection also includes additional costume elements.
This collection includes 300 audio recordings of notable WNUR broadcasts. The topics of the recordings range from general aspects of Northwestern University life, student activities and performances, to various social and political speeches and meetings.
This series consists of record cards documenting the World War I-era military service of Northwestern University alumni and some faculty. The card for an individual typically records name, Northwestern class (if applicable), dates of birth and admission to and withdrawal from school, name of parent or guardian, permanent address, war service (postings, promotions, combat duty), and military addresses.
- Women college students 16
- College students 15
- Photographs 13
- Evanston (Ill.) 6
- World War, 1914-1918--Registers 4
- Leases--Illinois--Evanston 3
- Military education 3
- Real property--Illinois--Evanston 3
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.--World War, 1914-1918 3
- Chicago (Ill.) 2
- English language--Study and teaching 2
- Greek letter societies 2
- Periodicals 2
- Photography--Negatives 2
- Student movements 2
- World War, 1914-1918--Illinois--Evanston 2
- Academic freedom--United States 1
- Actors 1
- African American civil rights workers 1
- African American college students 1
- African American lawyers 1
- African American student movements 1
- Air pilots, Military--Training of 1
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 1
- Anti-apartheid movements 1
- Art, Modern--Congresses 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Art--Study and teaching 1
- Awards 1
- Biology--Study and teaching 1
- Boulders--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Businesspeople 1
- Campus planning 1
- Christian union--Congresses 1
- Civil defense--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Civil rights workers 1
- Clergy 1
- College campuses--Design and construction 1
- College presidents 1
- College students--Housing 1
- College students--Social life and customs 1
- College students--Societies and clubs 1
- College teachers--Rating of 1
- College trustees 1
- Current events 1
- Debates and debating--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Degrees, Academic 1
- Disinvestment--South Africa 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Social conditions--20th century 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Social conditions--21st century 1
- Financial statements 1
- French language--Study and teaching--English speakers 1
- Geology--Study and teaching 1
- Graffiti--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Grosse Point Lighthouse (Ill.) 1
- Institutional cooperation--United States 1
- Investments, American--South Africa 1
- Lawyers 1
- Medical care--Research 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1
- Mexico 1
- Navies--Officers 1
- Radio addresses, debates, etc. 1
- Smoking--Public opinion 1
- Sociology--Study and teaching 1
- Speech--Study and teaching 1
- Sports team mascots 1
- Temperance 1
- Track and field 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.--World War, 1939-1945 1
- United States--Politics and government--1969-1974 1
- University cooperation--United States 1
- University investments 1
- Urbanization--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements 1
- Web archives 1
- Web sites--Indexes 1
- Women--Societies and clubs 1
- World War, 1914-1918--Illinois 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Registers 1 + ∧ less