Chicago Symphony Orchestra
The Chicago Orchestra was formed in 1891, with Ferdinand W. Peck as president. Theodore Thomas, who with his orchestra had visited Chicago for several seasons and was to be musical director of the World's Columbian Exposition (1893), was appointed its first conductor. The orchestra performed in the Auditorium Theatre, and moved in 1904 to the new 2566-seat Orchestra Hall. Thomas died in 1905; from 1906 it was called the Theodore Thomas Orchestra, and in 1912 it was renamed the Chicago SO. Thomas's successors were his assistant, Frederick Stock (1905–42), Désiré Defauw (1943–7), Artur Rodziński (1947–8), Rafael Kubelík (1950–53), Fritz Reiner (1953–63), Jean Martinon (1963–9), Georg Solti (1969–91) and Daniel Barenboim (from 1991).
CitationAuthor: Morris S. Levy
Grove Music Online, June 4, 2010
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Abstract Conductor Fritz Reiner's correspondence collection includes both personal and business correspondence, including letters to family, friends, and fans, and papers regarding his work with the Curtis Institute of Music and the Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Chicago Symphony Orchestras. Carlotta Reiner's correspondence is also heavily represented.