Skip to main content

Northwestern University Dames Club

 Organization

The Northwestern University Dames Club was a social organization for women affiliated with Northwestern University. It was founded May 12, 1925, by Mrs. R. A. Kent, a member of Northwestern's University Circle. Two years after its founding the Club joined the National Association of University Dames. During World War II membership in the Northwestern Club dwindled and it was disbanded. Members of the University Circle reorganized the Club in 1945. In 1972 the Club's name was changed to “Northwestern University Student Wives' Club.”

Membership in the Dames Club was open generally to the wives and mothers of Northwestern students, as well as to married women students enrolled in the University. Officers, an executive board, and standing committees administered the affairs of the Club. Club policy was set and discussed at frequent board and general meetings. Among the many social activities sponsored by the Club were picnics and outings, fund raising sales, charity projects, holiday parties, and related activities.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Records of the Northwestern University Dames Club

 Collection
Identifier: 0/21/1
Abstract The records of the Northwestern University Dames Club (open generally to the wives and mothers of Northwestern students, as well as to married women students enrolled in the University) fills one half-size box. They span the years from 1946-1975, with the majority of materials coming from the period 1966-1969. Materials include minutes, announcements, membership lists, correspondence, calendars, and booklets.
Dates: 1946-1977