Northwestern University Settlement (Chicago, Ill.). North Shore Junior Board
The Northwestern University Settlement Association was founded in 1891 by a group of administrators and faculty from Northwestern University in order to provide social services, educational programs, referrals, and emergency relief to a poor immigrant neighborhood on Chicago's near northwest side. In 1901, after three moves, the Settlement was established in the building at 1400 West Augusta where it continues to operate as a community center.
The North Shore Junior Board of the Northwestern University Settlement was organized in 1937 by young women from the North side of Chicago and from the suburbs along the North Shore with the special purpose of generating support for the Settlement Camp, the House in the Woods. In addition to assisting with Camp programs, the North Shore Junior Board also supports other Settlement projects. The President of the North Shore Junior Board is a member of the Executive Committee of the Settlement Board. The Greater Chicago Antiques Show and Sale is the annual fund raising project of the North Shore Junior Board. Other activities include the Children's Benefit League of Chicago and the Suburbs and a Santa Claus Benefit.
For additional historical background on the Settlement, see the historical summary which forms a part of the descriptive inventory for Series 41/1, the General Administrative Records. See also the informal history prepared for the Settlement's centennial, The Worn Doorstep, by Mark Wukas (Chicago: Northwestern University Settlement Association, 1991).