The Lydians was one of the major social organizations for women students on Northwestern University's Chicago campus. Founded by Flora Alfaretta Voorhees in 1913, when the University’s Chicago classes were located in the Northwestern University Building at Clark and Lake Streets in the Loop, the Lydians was incorporated in 1924. Although School of Commerce students predominated, membership was open to Northwestern women students pursuing any course of study. The club included student, life, and honorary members.
The Lydians provided a variety of social activities for its members. Its social calendar scheduled dinners, dances, parties, and talks by members of the business, government, and academic communities. The Lydians also held frequent business meetings. Several standing committees, such as membership, publicity, refreshments, scholarship, social, and sports committees, met regularly to plan the club's official business and social programs. The Lydian newsletter, Lydian Line 0' Type, reported club activities.