Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Pharmacy
The School of Pharmacy was founded in June 1886, when a group of Chicago druggists, under the direction of Northwestern trustee Dr. David R. Dyche proposed the establishment of a college to formally training pharmacists. Originally called the Illinois College of Pharmacy, though affiliated with Northwestern from the outset, the new school emphasized a course of study focused on the practical needs of the pharmaceutical profession. In addition to their formal coursework, students were required to complete three years of on-the-job training in order to receive their degrees. Entrance requirements were minimal: merely proof of a completed elementary school education.
From 1892 onward, the school was coeducational. While numbers fluctuated, annual enrollment eventually reached a high of 373 students. The school began losing money shortly after the turn of the century because most state pharmaceutical boards considered drug store training to be sufficient qualification for a pharmacist's license. Private institutions devoted to similar training soon came to be viewed as expensive and irrelevant.
In 1904-05, the School of Pharmacy raised its entrance requirement to the completion of one year of high school. As a result, enrollment dropped from 252 to 208, reaching a low of 156 students in 1908-09. Shortly thereafter, requirements were raised to include a full four-year high school program. By 1916-1917 enrollment had plummeted to just 59 students.
Northwestern cut its ties with the School of Pharmacy in June 1917, after suffering a 1916-1917 operating deficit of approximately $6,000. The School merged with a similar program at the University of Illinois.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The photographs of George S. Duntley fill 8 boxes and cover the years from approximately 1899-1918. The collection consists of dry plate negatives and record Duntley’s years in Chicago and Evanston while he was attending Northwestern University Medical School. Also included are photographs taken in Bushnell, Illinois, his home town and surrounding areas.