Northwestern Alumni Association
The December 7, 1936 issue of the Northwestern University Information bulletin announced the launch of the “Century Plan” by the newly consolidated Alumni Association and the Foundation Fund. The purpose of the Plan was to raise funds for future buildings on the Chicago and Evanston campuses and for other projects, including faculty salary increases—to be implemented by the time of the University's Centennial in 1951. Fund-raising efforts included the “One Gift” plan, established in 1936, whereby a donor became a member of the Alumni Association, a subscriber to the Alumni News, and a contributor to the Century Fund.
By the early 1940's, alumni could contribute defense stamps (or cash) to the University, which would then purchase Defense Bonds—thus benefiting both Northwestern and the government. They could also establish trust funds in the form of endowments. Individual schools were also targeted for specific projects; in 1948, Law School alumni were offered the opportunity to contribute to the John Henry Wigmore Library Fund. A constant stream of letters, newsletters, and reports issued by the Alumni Association kept alumni up to date on the progress of the Century Fund.
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
The University Archives holds photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1978. The photographs appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for freshmen entering the University. The photographs, usually wallet-size, are mounted in groups, alphabetically arranged by student surnames, on forty-five fifteen inch-by-twenty-one inch sheets of cardboard.
These additions are photographs of individual members of the class of 1981. The additions supplement and complete earlier accession of freshmen photographs processed as University Archives Series 75/32/2 (Accession #81-111).
These photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1982, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for first-year students entering the University.
These photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1983, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for freshmen entering the University, Northwestern University Alumni Association Welcomes the Class of 1983.
This series of three boxes consists of photographs of most of the freshman class of 1987. These photographs, typically wallet-sized, were collected for and appeared in the booklet Northwestern University Alumni Association Welcomes the Class of 1987, published for the entering freshmen. Each print is identified on the reverse by the student's name and social security number and is attached to a sheet bearing the same information.
This series, filling one and one-half boxes, is comprised of photographs of most of the freshman members of the class of 1988. These photographs, for the most part wallet-size color portraits, were collected for and appeared in the published booklet, “Introducing the Northwestern University Class of 1988,” published for entering freshmen. Each print is identified on the reverse with the pictured student's name.
The Northwestern University Club of Portland, Oregon was founded at the time of President A.W. Harris' visit to the city on February 4, 1911. The founding officers were: President, Walter S. Asher (Arts ′95); Vice President, Dr. Ernest A. Myers (Dent. ′96); Secretary-Treasurer, Dr. Frank F. Casseday (Arts ′77); Member, Executive Committee, Dr. Jessie Mc Gavin (Wom-Med).This series consists of two parts: a record book; and a folder of clippings and correspondence.