Skip to main content

Northwestern Alumni Association

 Organization

The December 7, 1936 issue of the Northwestern University Information bulletin announced the launch of the “Century Plan” by the newly consolidated Alumni Association and the Foundation Fund. The purpose of the Plan was to raise funds for future buildings on the Chicago and Evanston campuses and for other projects, including faculty salary increases—to be implemented by the time of the University's Centennial in 1951. Fund-raising efforts included the “One Gift” plan, established in 1936, whereby a donor became a member of the Alumni Association, a subscriber to the Alumni News, and a contributor to the Century Fund.

By the early 1940's, alumni could contribute defense stamps (or cash) to the University, which would then purchase Defense Bonds—thus benefiting both Northwestern and the government. They could also establish trust funds in the form of endowments. Individual schools were also targeted for specific projects; in 1948, Law School alumni were offered the opportunity to contribute to the John Henry Wigmore Library Fund. A constant stream of letters, newsletters, and reports issued by the Alumni Association kept alumni up to date on the progress of the Century Fund.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Records of the Northwestern University Club of Portland, Oregon

 Collection
Identifier: 32/2/3
Abstract The Northwestern University Club of Portland, Oregon was founded at the time of President A.W. Harris' visit to the city on February 4, 1911. The founding officers were: President, Walter S. Asher (Arts ′95); Vice President, Dr. Ernest A. Myers (Dent. ′96); Secretary-Treasurer, Dr. Frank F. Casseday (Arts ′77); Member, Executive Committee, Dr. Jessie Mc Gavin (Wom-Med).This series consists of two parts: a record book; and a folder of clippings and correspondence.
Dates: 1911-1949