The Chicago Tribune is a daily newspaper based in Chicago, Illinois, founded in 1847 by James Kelly, John E. Wheeler, and Joseph K. C. Forrest. During the 19th century, under the leadership of Joseph Medill, the paper became closely associated with Abraham Lincoln and the Republican Party. This association continued into the 20th century as Medill's grandson Colonel Robert R. McCormick assumed editorship and the paper adapted conservative isolationist and anti-New Deal viewpoints. Journalistic highs and lows during the 20th century include publishing the text of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919, incorrectly calling the 1948 presidential election for Thomas Dewey instead of Harry S. Truman, and publishing a complete transcript of the Watergate tapes. The Tribune Corporation branched out into other forms of journalism with the addition of the WGN ("World's Greatest Newspaper") radio station in the 1920s and WGN TV in the 1940s, and was an early adopter of internet journalism in the mid-1990s. It remains the most-read daily newspaper in the Chicago area.
Found in 60 Collections and/or Records:
Papers of Chesser Campbell, publisher of the Chicago Tribune and president of the Tribune Company
This collection contains correspondence, progress reports, cost and shipping reports, blueprints, specifications, charts and maps, and many photographs concerning the North Shore Paper Company (the Tribune Company's second Canadian pulp and paper mill at Baie Comeau, Quebec) and the permanent planned community which grew up around it.
The internal newsletter of the Ontario Paper Company Limited (Thorold, Ontario); Quebec North Shore Paper Company (Montreal and Baie Comeau, Quebec); and associated companies
This collection describes the construction and initial testing of the Tribune Company's paper mill at Thorold, Ontario. The collection consists chiefly of correspondence among Robert R. McCormick, president of the Tribune Company, Warren Curtis, Jr., who designed and supervised the building of the mill, and other executives of the company.
Files from the Tribune's Building Division managers: Holmes Onderdonk and Keith Capron), chiefly concerning historic stones (for the Tribune Tower), flags, and inscriptions
Files created by W.E. Macfarlane (Chicago Tribune business manager from 1928 until his death on 1944-10-09) and Elbert M. Antrim (business manager from 1944 to 1954)
This series contains a set of Chicagoland map, a road map of areas surrounding Chicago, published by the Chicago Tribune.
The rules and regulations, instructions, standards, rates, etc., 1925-1968, of the Chicago Tribune Advertising Department. The material is in the form of memos, letters, cards, and other printed matter
This small collection consists of plans drawn up by Charles W. Townsley for the reorganization in 1910 of the Advertisting Department and several other departments of the Tribune Company
This collection traces the relationship between the Tribune Company and the Chicago Tunnel Company (and its parent, the Chicago Tunnel Terminal Corporation) from 1919 to 1964\
This collection consists of promotional materials sent by the Chicago Tribune to distributors, newsdealers and carriers from 1921 to 1939. The collection includes mimeographed letters and notices, advertisements, posters, circulars, leaflects, advertisements, and circulation figures
This collection of Chicago Tribune Editorial Department papers consists principally of correspondence and manuscripts related to the content of the editorial pages of the newspaper between 1942 and 1971, with some earlier material. Correspondence includes that of Clifford Raymond (before 1939-1950) and George Morgenstern (1947-1971), but the bulk is of Leon Stolz (1942-1963). There are also a few items from Reuben Cahn and Carl Wiegman.
Employee relations files, chiefly job applications and routine "tickets" for salary increases.
This small collection of promotion material was retained by the Tribune Company Marketing Department between 1957 and 1972. It documents special occasions like the Chicago Tribune 125th Anniversary in 1972, the First Division Museum dedication in 1960, and the McCormick Charitable Trust Historymobile and McCormick Place in 1960. The collection includes clippings, correspondence, and printed promotional matter can also be found.
This collection contains the papers of Frank Hughes (1908-1972) during his 29-year tenure at the Chicago Tribune (1942-1971).
This collection consists of case files selected by the law firm of Kirkland and Ellis as being of possible historical interest. They date principally from 1920 to 1955, with a few from as early as 1907. The papers pertain to the Chicago Tribune, the Tribune Company, the Ontario Paper Company, and Robert R. McCormick. Also included is a small collection of Patterson family papers, evidently from the estate of Eleanor Medill Patterson.