William Ferris music manuscripts and papers
The materials, spanning the years 1952 to 2000, consist of holographs, copyists' manuscripts, published scores and composer’s sketches and notebooks, notes, correspondence, publication records, photographs, clippings, programs and other ephemera.
- Ferris, William, 1937-2000 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open and available to researchers without restrictions. Please contact email@example.com or 847-491-3434 to schedule an appointment to view the collection.
19 Linear Feet
Consists of holograph, manuscript, and published scores of nearly all of the composer's musical compositions written between 1952 and 2000 as well as sketches and notebooks related to specific works.
Organized into two series: 1. Music manuscripts and scores and 2. Non-musical materials. Music manuscripts and scores are further organized into sub-series. Within Series 1, there are 13 sub-series according to musical form, genre or type of score. The non-musical materials are further organized in five sub-series according to format of the materials.
Method of Acquisition
The materials are a gift of William Ferris and John Vorrasi; the first shipment was sent to the Music Library in September 1999. Additional materials were donated by Paul French and the William Ferris Chorale in 2016.
- Stassevitch, Paul, 1894-1968
- American Conservatory of Music (Chicago, Ill.)
- Becker, Arthur C., 1895-1976
- Cathedral of the Holy Name (Chicago, Ill.)
- Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Rochester, N.Y.)
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Ferris, William, 1937-2000
- John Paul II, Pope, 1920-2005
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (Chicago, Ill.)
- Sowerby, Leo, 1895-1968
- Tcherepnin, Alexander, 1899-1977
- Vorrasi, John
- Welch, James B.
- William Ferris Chorale
- Guide to the William Ferris music manuscripts and papers
- Frank Ferko; revised by Morris Levy; subsequent additions and revisions by Alan Akers.
- 01/01/2004; 05/08/2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard