Northwestern Univ. Misc., undated
Scope and Contents
The Raymond Carhart Papers are arranged in five main categories. In addition, Biographical Material, 1 folder, Box 1, consists of news stories and articles concerning awards, appointments, and research; obituaries; curricula vitae, including a list of his publications. Several of these items contain photographs of Carhart.
1. Correspondence, Committee and Group (1946-75), 25 folders, Boxes 1-3, from and to Carhart, with some letters in which Carhart is not directly involved. These folders also contain some reports, minutes, and supplemental material. Major groups include Northwestern University (Audiology Program, 1971-75; Department of Communicative Disorders, 1971-75; School of Speech, 1946-75; University Press, 1973-75; et al.); National Academy of Sciences (Panel on Hearing Aid Performance, 1972-75); National Institute for Neurological Diseases and Stroke (Collaborative and Field Studies, 1972-73; Editorial Committee, 1974-75; Science Information Program Advisory Committee, 1969-73); Veterans Administration (Consultants on Hearing Aid Performance, 1956-74; Rating Schedule, 1950-66).
2. Correspondence, Individual (1947-75), 32 folders, Boxes 4-7, from and to Carhart with some letters in which Carhart is not directly involved. These folders also contain some drafts-of publications and supplemental materials. Major folders include correspondence (to and from Carhart) and drafts of papers by Walter Loftiss; correspondence (to and from Carhart) with Michael Pollack, and drafts of chapters in the book, “Amplification for the Hearing-Impaired” (published by Grune and Stratton in 1975) of which Pollack was the editor and for which Carhart wrote a substantial introduction; and Roy Wood, Dean of Northwestern's School of Speech.
3. Drafts of Speeches and Publications (1962-75), 13 folders, Boxes 8-9. These include manuscript notes for speeches, typed drafts (or summaries) of speeches and papers, dittoed copies (and some ditto masters) of papers.
4. Reprints (1938-75), 5 folders, Box 10. Reprints of articles, reports, and chapters in books (list of these in Biographical folder).
The Raymond Carhart Papers will be of special interest to those seeking information on the development of the first academic program in audiology in this country and to those interested in the coining and use of the word “audiology”.
Major gaps in these papers are in the correspondence file for the School of Speech, 1947-55 and 1960-65; Drafts of Speeches and Publications, prior to 1962; and Reprints, 1951-56.
- From the Collection: Carhart, Raymond, 1912-1975 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored off-site and requires two business days advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at email@example.com or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection.
From the Collection: 11.00 Boxes
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US