Skip to main content

Records of the University Club of Evanston

 Collection
Identifier: 55/33
The first vice-president of the club, John H. Wigmore, kept most of the notices--printed on postcard stock and mailed to members--of the weekly Club meetings from 1907 to 1940. Listing topics to be discussed at the meetings and the names of the speakers, the announcements are enlightening and valuable sources for documenting the activities of the club. The collection (which is incompelte) consists of 300 announcements of meetings, arranged chronologically by date.

ADDITIONS

The additions to the University Club of Evanston Records shed additional light on the history and internal affairs of the organization between 1905 and 1965.

The publications folder (containing by-laws and house rules, membership booklet, club history booklet, and financial reports) provides historical information about the Club’s founding, activities, and the officers and directors of the Club. Materials are organized chronologically.

The Treasurer’s file documents club purchases and membership dues between 1906 and 1913. The purchase invoices and receipt offer a unique view of Evanston’s commercial and life, representing such Evanston-based businesses and services as the North Shore Electric Company, Henry Butler’ Livery and Boarding Stable, State Bank of Evanston, J. C. Connor Hardware Company, The Ridgeville Press, Dr. Roscoe L. Wilkes’ Drugstore, Peabody Coal Company, Wright’s Electric and Lighting Supplies, Northwestern Gas Light & Coke Co., Evanston Public Schools, Kimball and Rogers Printers, E. L. Kappelman Printers, H.E. Chandler and Co., George Iredale Furniture Storage Co. and Charles Beck Sanitary Plumbing and Gas Fitting. There are also receipts for transactions with Chicago-based businesses, such as Chicago Telephone Company, Marshall Field and Company, The Pilgrim Press, Lincoln Fuel Co., J. C. Craig Florist, and The Fair.

The bulk of the addition consists of correspondence to and from the University Club of Evanston's Secretary, dating between 1905 and 1913. Much of the correspondence is directed to Dwight St. John Bobb, who served as secretary from 1907-1909. These letters deal with membership applications, elections to membership, member responses to elections, and discussions of possible lecture series speakers.

Dates

  • 1905-1965
  • Other: Majority of material found in 1905-1940

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is stored off-site and requires 48 hours advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at specialcollections@northwestern.edu or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection.

Extent

1.50 Boxes

Abstract

The University Club of Evanston was founded in 1904 to promote good fellowship among college men. The collection includes meeting announcements, correspondence, treasurers' files, invoices from local venders, and publications that provide a snapshot of Northwestern faculty and alumni life as well as the commercial life of Evanston.

Arrangement

The correspondence is organized alphabetically by incoming correspondent’s surname, and arranged in chronological order within each alphabetical folder. This preserves the original order of the material.

Method of Acquisition

The initial collection (mostly meeting annoucements) was separated from the John Henry Wigmore Papers (series 17/20) in 1993. The additions were donated to the University Archives in February, 2016, by Christine S. Faux

Related Materials

See also: John Henry Wigmore Papers, Series 17/20; Dwight St. John Bobb Papers, 31/6/113.

Separated Materials

Similar cards relating to the University of Chicago Club were given to the University of Chicago Archives; those relating to the University Club of Chicago were given to the Chicago Historical Society.

Processing Information

Margaret B. Faverty, June 1994.
Title
Guide to the Records of the University Club of Evanston
Author
Margaret B. Faverty; Annette Bochenek
Date
01/06/1994
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Repository Details

Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository

Contact:
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US
847-491-3635