The records of the Evanston College for Ladies consist of one box of historical materials, minutes, legal and financial documents, and catalogs and programs dating from 1869 to 1933.
Dating from 1871 to 1933, the historical materials consist of circulars, newspaper and catalog extracts, and a 1933 historical article by Lydia Jones Trowbridge. The “Ladies' Fourth of July” folder (1871) contains circulars and newspaper articles that document the fundraising event and, in doing so, offer a witty commentary on Evanston social life.
Executive Committee minutes and Board of Trustees minutes together document the College's operation from its opening in 1871 through the end of first academic year of its absorption by Northwestern (1874).
Spanning the years 1869 to 1925, the legal documents include the town ordinance granting land to Northwestern University for use by the Evanston College for Ladies; the lease by which the College rented facilities from William Jones; and the terms of the College's 1873 cession to Northwestern. Faculty contracts date from 1871 until 1872.
Financial documents comprise a published financial statement from 1873 and one letter (1874) pertaining to tuition payments.
Catalogs date from 1871 until 1873 and document the College's mission, curricula, and expectations of its students. Dating from 1872 to 1873, the event programs include commencement leaflets (which unfortunately do not list the graduates) and programs from alumni reunions.
The duplicates are extra copies of the College catalogs.