The Records of the Northwestern University Centennial Celebration are arranged in eight main categories in 19 boxes containing 195 folders, a bound volume, and several notebooks and transcriptions. Photographs of the individuals who received Centennial Awards and of the individuals and buildings involved in the John Evans Program have been removed from this collection and placed in the photographic files.
1. Preliminary Planning and Appointments, 66 folders, Boxes 1-6. This includes material on the early appointments of individuals and committees, correspondence related to Van Dusen's eastern trip, committee minutes, calendars, mailing lists, budget information, historical sketches of various departments and groups, publicity materials and reports, brochures, and clippings.
2. Founders' Day (1951) and Other Meetings and Events Directly Related to the Centennial, 34 folders, Boxes 6-9. Here are correspondence, worksheets, programs, and other items concerning Founders' Day (1951), the John Evans Program, the Centennial Convocation, and the other University-related events.
3. Academic Conferences, 34 folders, Boxes 10-15. This contains general material on the six academic conferences as well as, in most cases, planning documents and correspondence, worksheets, papers, acknowledgements, and a history of each conference.
4. Centennial Campaign, 3 folders, Boxes 15-16. Contains planning materials and correspondence, publications, and reports of gifts.
5. Meetings and Events Indirectly Related to the Centennial, 22 folders, Box 16-17. Contains correspondence and planning materials for these meetings and events, as well as some material on meetings and events that either did not ultimately take place or were finally held outside the University and its vicinity.
6. Related Correspondence and Greetings Pertaining to Northwestern's Centennial and to Centennial and Other Celebrations Elsewhere, 24 folders, Boxes 17-18. Includes material sent to or from celebrating colleges, universities, and industries.
7. Founders' Day (1952), 1 folder, Box 18. Contains correspondence and planning materials, as well as programs and announcements.
8. General Reports and Publications, 11 folders, Boxes 18-19. Includes material related to the athletic and pictorial histories and the budget, as well as information on attendance, catalogues and guides, summary reports, and outlines and notes for the history of the Centennial Celebration.
These records, in general, are comprehensive, and in many cases several drafts exist of letters, reports, and other documents. This collection provides a sound historical basis for a major event in the University's development. Not only will it be useful to future historians of Northwestern but it will also be of value to other educational institutions planning for similar celebrations.