Walter Patton Murphy (1873-1942) Collection
Scope and Contents
The Walter Patton Murphy Collection consists of biographical materials dating from 1911-1976, correspondence, both written by and concerning Mr. Murphy, and his Will with Three Codicils. Also present are records concerning negotiations between the representatives of the Walter P. Murphy Foundation and officials of Northwestern University. There are also clippings, the memorial book from Murphy's funeral service, a published biography of Murphy by Walter Dill Scott, the Technological Institute Dedication Book, and Murphy's Doctor of Laws diploma from Northwestern University.
- Murphy, Walter Patton, 1873-1942 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored off-site and requires two business days advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection.
Language of Materials
Walter P. Murphy, manufacturer (Standard Railway Equipment Company) and philanthropist, donated over $6 million to Northwestern University in 1939 to create a new engineering program on the cooperative plan, and to build its new home. The Technological Institute opened in 1941. This Collection consists mainly of biographical materials and records relating to his donation and the consturction of the building.
Method of Acquisition
Wendy Russell, November 14, 1996
- Guide to the Walter Patton Murphy (1873-1942) Collection
- Wendy Russell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US