Edson Brady Fowler (1865-1942) Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The Edson Brady Fowler Family Papers are arranged in three major sections: the papers of Edson Brady, Mr. and Mrs. F. S., and Edson Fairbrother. These are divided into ten main categories, and are housed in 13 boxes containing 14 folders and a variety of separate items.
The papers of Edson Brady occupy Boxes 1-4 and are divided into the following categories: Biographical, Correspondence, Financial and Legal, and Patient Records.
1. Biographical, 1 folder, Box 1: Consists of newspaper and magazine stories and obituaries, student records at Northwestern, and brief items on Edson Fairbrother and Isabelle Drew Fowler.
2. Correspondence, 6 folders, Box 1: Of special interest are the three folders of correspondence with F. S., and a folder of letters to Edson B. from his patients.
3. Financial and Legal, 1 folder, Box 1.
4. Patient Records, 2 patient ledgers (1900-1925), 11 patient day books (1900-1916), and one notebook of case records (1919), Boxes 2-4 and Ledger box 1.
The papers of Mr. and Mrs. F. S. Fowler are primarily financial and legal (4 folders, Box 1), but there are some clippings (1 folder, Box 1).
The papers of Edson Fairbrother Fowler occupy Boxes 1, 5-12, and are divided into the following categories: Manuals related to medical education; Notes on the literature and surgical procedures; Manual on Pre & Post Operative Care, by Fowler; and Patient Day Books.
1. Manuals, 7 items, Box 5.
2. Notes, 2 items, Box 6.
3. Manual by Fowler, Box 6
4. Patient Day Books (1947-1962), 24 items, Boxes 6-12.
- Fowler, Edson Brady, 1865-1942 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored off-site and requires two business days advance notice for retrieval. Please contact the McCormick Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-3635 for more information or to schedule an appointment to view the collection.
Language of Materials
The Edson Brady Fowler Family Papers contain materials from four members of the family over two generations. Edson Brady Fowler (1865-1942; Doctor of Medicine, Northwestern University, 1896), physician and surgeon, and Forrest Stephen Fowler (d.1948), farmer, were the sons of George Fowler and Lucyette Fairbrother Fowler who lived near Buda, Bureau County, Illinois, for many years. A few financial items related to Augusta S. Fowler (d.1945; Mrs. F. S. Fowler), are in the collection. Slightly more than half of the material is from Edson Fairbrother Fowler (1915-1964), surgeon, son and second child of Edson B. Fowler and Hannah Isabelle Drew Fowler.
The Edson Brady Fowler family papers are organized into three principal groups: Edson B. Fowler (correspondence by correspondent and date, and other material); Mr. and Mrs. Forrest S. Fowler; Edson Fairbrother Fowler.
Processor: William K. Beatty; October, 1977
- Guide to the Edson Brady Fowler (1865-1942) Family Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Northwestern University Archives Repository
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Dr.
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US