- keyword(s): northwestern settlement
Showing Results: 1 - 20 of 23
Abstract This series contains The College Of Arts And Sciences, English Department General Files from 1930 - 1964.
Abstract This series is comprised of English Department doctoral qualifying examinations from the period 1956-1977. Most of the examinations date between 1974 and 1977 and typically include both examination questions and candidates' written responses. Completing the series is one folder of examination questions from the period 1956-1964.
Dates: 1956-1977, and undated; Other: Majority of material found within 1974 - 1977
Abstract The Samuel Schoenbaum Papers include biographical material, article reprints, reviews of his publications in the United States and Great Britain, and newspaper and periodical clippings of his life and writing.
Abstract Richard M. Wilson's papers are contained within one box and mostly consist of teaching materials and student papers from his African literature courses. The papers also include biographical materials, Program of African Studies materials, and some of Wilson's publications and correspondence. The papers span the years 1968-1972.
Abstract This series, arranged in nine boxes, spans the years from 1945 through 1982. The series is divided into four subseries: departmental correspondence; budget records; general files; and assistantship, fellowship, and scholarship files. The departmental correspondence dates between 1961 and 1982. The departmental correspondence is largely administrative in nature. The budget records span the period 1962-1970. These records deal almost exclusively with departmental salary and budget planning...
Abstract The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
Abstract The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Abstract Robert D. Mayo came to Northwestern University as an Instructor in the Department of English in 1941. He returned to the University after service in the U.S. Army as assistant professor in 1946, became an associate professor in 1953, and professor in 1961, retiring in 1978. Mayo's research interests included 17th and 18th century English periodicals, the novel in 18th and 19th century England and 20th century America, gothic fiction, 20th century criticism, and romantic and modern poetry. His...
Abstract Scholar and professor of English Literature Arthur Hobart Nethercot joined NU's English faculty in 1919 and remained with the University until retirement. The Arthur Nethercot Papers consist of biographical materials and clippings documenting Nethercot's career at Northwestern, correspondence from literary figures, and copies and reprints of Nethercot's poetry, fiction, and scholarly publications.
Abstract Moody E. Prior came to Northwestern University in 1924 as an instructor in English. He became an assistant professor in 1930, and associate professor in 1937, and pprofessor, 1944. He held John C. Shaffer Professor in the Humanities and English from 1948 until his retirement in 1969. His research interests focused on English drama and he was considered an authority on Shakespeare. The Moody E. Prior Papers fill six boxes and span the years 1924 through 1996. The bulk of the material in the...
Abstract Addison Hibbard came to Northwestern University in 1930 as professor of English and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, and remained until his death in 1945. His papers fill four boxes (including one half-size box) and span the period 1911-1973 (practically all of the material falls within the years 1911-1945). The Papers are arranged into two categories: correspondence and publications. There are also seven folders of biographical materials including two folders relating to Hibbard's graduate...
Dates: 1911 - 1973; Other: Majority of material found within 1911 - 1945
Abstract The Douglas Cole papers fill nine boxes and span the years 1960 to 1997. They contain biographical materials, materials relating to Cole's involvement with Northwestern University, publications and addresses, and teaching files. Materials relating to Cole's Northwestern University involvement include files on the Comparative Literature Committee, the Dean's Advisory Board on Tenure and Promotions, the Drama Program, and the English Department.
Abstract Richard Wendorf was a professor of English and of Art History at Northwestern University and served the College of Arts and Sciences as associate dean from 1984-1987. His primary research interests involved the eighteenth century poet William Collins and the relationship between biography and portrait painting. The Richard Wendorf Papers are composed of eight categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, administrative files, professional organizations...
Abstract Harold Kaplan was a professor of English and American Literature at Northwestern University from 1972 to 1986, when he became professor emeritus. Before coming to Northwestern, Kaplan taught at Rutgers University and Bennington College, after having served in the United States Air Force for four years. He received his B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Chicago. This collection includes Kaplan’s class notes, drafts for books and essays, correspondence, talks, and the reviews of his...
Dates: 1946 - 2013; Other: Date acquired: 03/03/2011
Abstract The Wallace W. Douglas Papers fill 22 boxes. The papers include biographical materials as well as materials covering education, correspondence, teaching, research, professional associations, speeches and publications.
Abstract J. Lyndon Shanley joined the faculty at Northwestern University as an instructor in the English Department. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1940, associate professor in 1946, and professor in 1951. Shanley retired from the University in 1978. His research focused on Chaucer, Spencer and Thoreau. The J. Lyndon Shanley Papers are organized into three categories: personal files, appointment calendars, and curricular material for the two classes Shanley taught at Northwestern, English...
Abstract The Lawrence Evans Papers fill twenty-two boxes and span the years 1956 to 1999. The papers consist of Evans' notes from Harvard classes, correspondence relating to Northwestern, teaching files, correspondence with and about students, graduate student files, biographical information, committee and professional association records, course files, and publication files. The bulk of the papers document Evans' 40 year teaching career as professor of English at Northwestern University.
Abstract Donald Torchiana came to Northwestern University in 1953 as instructor in English from 1953-1959; he became an assistant professor in 1959, an associate professor in 1963, and a professor in 1968, until his retirement in 1989. His research interests were 18th century English and Irish literature, the Irish Literary Renaissance, modern literature, and the writings of Joyce, Yeats, Swift and Pope. The Donald Torchiana Papers fill five boxes and span the period 1958-1992. The papers are divided...
Abstract The Harrison Hayford papers fill seventy-two boxes, spanning the years 1916 to 2002. The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence files, Northwestern University teaching files, Northwestern University student files and, most significantly, the Herman Melville Editing Project files.
Abstract Jean Howard Hagstrum taught English Literature at Northwestern University from 1940 until his retirement in 1981. His extensive papers document his educational, teaching, administrative, and scholarly career.
- English literature--Study and teaching 19
- English language--Study and teaching 4
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question 1
- African literature--Study and teaching 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Doctoral students--Examinations 1
- Down you go 1
- Irish literature--Study and teaching 1
- Journalists 1
- Lawyers 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 14
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cole, Douglas 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Evans, Lawrence (Lawrence Gove), 1935-2011 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Hibbard, Addison, 1887-1945 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Pearson family 1
- Pearson, C. W. (Charles William), 1846-1905 1
- Prior, Moody E. (Moody Erasmus), 1901-1996 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932- 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Shanley, J. Lyndon (James Lyndon), 1910-1996 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 ∧ less