- keyword(s): northwestern settlement
Showing Results: 1 - 18 of 18
Abstract This series includes 30 rolls of negatives from photographs taken of the University Library. Most rolls total 36 exposures. The negatives, black and white and on Kodak Tri-X Pan film, are in 35mm format. The photographs, apparently taken during the early 1970s, are mainly of the interior of the University Library although some shots of Deering Library also are included.
Dates: ca. 1970
Abstract This series is comprised of the personnel files of University Library temporary employees spanning the period of 1987-1990.
Abstract This series consists of photocopies of newspaper clippings relating to the Northwestern University Library.
Abstract This collection contains rosters of the titles and authors of Northwestern University master’s degree theses and doctoral dissertations, for the period circa 1892-1990.
Abstract The series consists of four binders of black and white photographs documenting the construction process and the newly finished structure of the Charles Deering Library at Northwestern University. With two or three exceptions, all photographs were taken by the Chicago Architectural Photographing Company. The photographs document each state in the building's construction, from bare ground to completed but windowless exterior; and show the completed building (both general views, and details).
Collection — Box: 1-2
Abstract Records of University Library book circulation to Northwestern faculty and students from the period 1874-1887 are contained in this volume.
Abstract The Northwestern University Library Scrapbooks contain five scrapbooks that detail the acquisitions of books and materials, exhibits and future planning of the University libraries and cover the years from 1944-1975.
Abstract These records document the activities of Northwestern University Library's Exhibits Committee, created January, 1985, which is responsible for coordinating, scheduling, supervising and allocating funds for the planning and preparation of displays in the exhibit cases of Level 1 of the Main Library. The history and mission of the organization are described in the Library's newsletter, The Lantern's Core, and in the policies and procedures memorandum #PPM 882a-882e, as well as in the annual...
Abstract The papers of Eleanor F. Lewis (1882-1861) document her life and career at Northwestern University Library. The collection spans the years 1900-1977; the bulk of the materials relate to her retirement in 1948. Materials in this collection include: biographical materials; correspondence; articles; bibliographies; and a speech.
Abstract The Northwestern University Library Accession Records document the growth of the Library's collections over the course of sixty-three years, spanning the careers of seven librarians, and representing the holdings of four successive library spaces. The Accession Records contain lists of the books and other Library materials acquired between December, 1878 and July, 1941.
Abstract The Subject Files fill thirty-two boxes and cover a time of significant growth and change in the University Library. The bulk of the records date between 1971, when John McGowan assumed the post of University Librarian (shortly after the completion of the new main Library building), and 1988. A few records from the mid- to late-1960s predate McGowan's tenure. This series documents the day-to-day administration of a major research library, with an emphasis on the important change to a...
Abstract Effie Almira Keith held various positions in the Northwestern University Library from 1916 through 1949, most notably Acting University Librarian (1941-1944); but also head cataloguer (1916-1921), Assistant University Librarian (1921-1941, 1944-1947), and Special Consultant in Cataloguing (1947-1949). During her Acting Librarianship, she steered the library through the staffing shortages caused by World War II, negotiated the consolidation of three different departmental libraries into the...
Abstract The Lodilla Ambrose Papers document Ambrose's life and career at Northwestern University Library, spanning the years 1883-2001, with an emphasis on her time spent as Assistant Librarian at the University. Three biographies written about Ambrose (two in draft form) are filed at the start of the collection. Other biographical materials include high school, college and alumni records, mentions of speeches made by Ambrose, brief biographical listings in publications, and correspondence inquiring...
Abstract This collection documents the activity of the committee established to plan and oversee construction of Northwestern University's University Library building (completed in 1970), viewed through the lens of Clarence Ver Steeg, who chaired the committte for over a decade. The Planning/Building Committee held regular, monthly meetings in addition to engaging in ongoing, sub-committee duties, site visits, and research. The collection is centered around the working files of the committee, including...
Dates: 1951 - 2001; Other: Majority of material found within 1961 - 1970; Other: Date acquired: 02/08/1984
Abstract Northwestern University Librarian Jens Nyholm's personal papers fill twenty boxes and are arranged in six subseries with two additions: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, professional organization files, research and consulting, files, and publications. These papers comprise Nyholm's personal files; the records documenting his service as university librarian at Northwestern may be found in University Archives' Series 9/4, Records of the University Librarian. Approximately...
Abstract The Theodore Wesley Koch Papers fill three boxes and document Koch's life and work as University Librarian at Northwestern University, 1919-1941. The Papers include biographical materials, correspondence, and publications, but the bulk of the materials relate to Koch's involvement in the design and construction of Northwestern's Charles Deering Library (1933).
- Academic libraries--Illinois--Evanston 5
- Academic librarians 3
- Academic libraries--Circulation and loans--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Academic libraries--Illinois--Evanston--Photographs 1
- Academic library directors 1
- Children of missionaries 1
- Dissertations, Academic--United States--Bibliography 1
- Library administration--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Library buildings--Illinois--Evanston--Photographs 1
- Library exhibits 1
- Part-time employment--Illinois--Evanston 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library--Photographs 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 3
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings--Photographs 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Employees 2
- Ambrose, Lodilla 1
- Keith, Effie, 1882-1969 1
- Koch, Theodore Wesley, 1871-1941 1
- Levertov, Denise, 1923-1997 1
- Lewis, Eleanor F. (Eleanor Frances), 1882-1961 1
- McGowan, John P., 1926-2006 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Dissertations--Bibliography 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Photographs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library--Catalogs 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library. Building Committee 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library. Exhibits Committee 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library. Personnel Department 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library. Planning Committee 1
- Nyholm, Jens, 1900-1983 1
- Rifbjerg, Klaus 1
- Ver Steeg, Clarence L. (Clarence Lester), 1922-2007 1 ∧ less