- keyword(s): northwestern settlement
Showing Results: 1 - 2 of 2
Abstract The Philip Fox papers, comprising one box, include correspondence, astronomical notes and calculations, notes and drafts of publications, and lists compiled by Fox of outstanding scientists.The general correspondence covers the years from 1904 to 1941. Of interest are the four letters written in 1909 urging the purchase of the Simon Newcomb Library for the Astronomy Department at Northwestern. The standard equinox correspondence records Fox's interest in 1915 in establishing such a...
Abstract Records of Dearborn Observatory, built in 1865 by the Chicago Astronomical Society and the University of Chicago and in 1889 moved to Northwestern University's Evanston campus. Dearborn Observatory was a significant contributor in the area of double star research. The records consist almost entirely of observational data gathered by astronomers using Dearborn's 18-1/2 inch refracting telescope or its meridian circle, calculations performed on the data, and the results of such investigations.
- Names: Fox, Philip, 1878-1944 X
- Astronomical observatories--United States 1
- Astronomy--Study and teaching 1
- Solar system--Databases 1
- Stars--Observations 1
- Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum 1
- Burnham, S. W. (Sherburne Wesley), 1838-1921 1
- Chicago Astronomical Society 1
- Colbert, Elias, 1831- 1
- Hough, G. W. (George Washington), 1836-1909 1