- keyword(s): northwestern settlement
Showing Results: 1 - 20 of 220
Abstract The Oliver Marcy Papers comprise biographical materials; correspondence; copies of articles and addresses by Marcy; and materials relating to the Northwestern University Museum of Natural History. Marcy's correspondence concerns a variety of subjects, including his early career as a science teacher at Wilbraham Academy and at Amenia Seminary; his career as a faculty member and his two separate terms as Acting President of Northwestern; Northwestern's faculty and administration, campus life, and...
Abstract Clarence Lester Ver Steeg initially joined Northwestern as a Professor of United States History in 1950 and served as Dean of The Graduate School from 1975 to 1986. Ver Steeg was most well known for teaching American history courses. Aside from his teaching responsibilities, he was instrumental in expanding graduate education programs. As chairman of the Northwestern Faculty Committee to Plan and Build the New University Library, Ver Steeg played a crucial role in the development, design, and...
Overview The papers of British social historians Harold and Joan Perkin fill 61 boxes and contain 6.28 megabytes of born-digital files. The collection documents their academic careers and personal lives in England and the United States, spanning dates 1905-2015, with bulk dates 1970-2015. Harold Perkin was one of the leaders in the British social history movement of the 1960s-1970s and a professor in the Department of History at Northwestern University from 1985 to 1997. Joan Perkin was a lecturer in...
Abstract This report, which is organized by categories, represents an extensive presentation of information on the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine for a limited span of years, circa 1979-1981. The most significant categories include the curriculum vitae of the principal members of the faculty, records of recent faculty publications and grants awarded, and budget information. There are also minutes of departmental meetings, information on volunteer faculty and vital statistics on the Institute.
Abstract These records fill seven boxes and document the service to the History Department of its non-current faculty. The records include correspondence pertaining to appointments, salary adjustments, teaching assignments, leaves of absence, terminations of service, and retirements. Frequently included in the files are copies of vitae and teaching evaluations while less often found are letters of recommendation, placement service files, and other materials.
Abstract The minutes of the meetings of the faculty of the School of Speech document the development of policy and other administrative matters of the School from its inception in 1892 through 1968. Among various matters recorded in the minutes are the adoption of new or revised rules and degree requirements, curricular changes, committee appointments, reports of committees, recommendations for student awards and honors and for promotion and graduation of students, and student petitions.
College of Engineering, School of Engineering and Technological Institute Record of Degrees and Honors Awarded and Faculty Rosters
Abstract This volume, spanning the years from 1910 through 1943, includes lists of recipients of degrees and honors awarded by Northwestern University's College of Engineering, School of Engineering, and Technological Institute.
Abstract The Records of the Dental School Faculty, Staff, and Alumni consist of ten card-file boxes of 3x5 index cards. Faculty cards include dates and courses taught (sometimes including degrees and the institution from which the degree was received). Cards of staff provide employment dates and title; positions range from laboratory maid to stenographer to technician or dental assistant. Alumni cards are relatively uninformative, usually listing only the address of the student, his or her degree, and...
Abstract The series consists letters from former Northwestern students answering an ad placed by Professor Harold Williamson of the N.U. History Project in the 1975 Spring issue of the Northwestern Alumni News, describing memories of favorite professors. The response to “Professors I'll Never Forget” was overwhelming, with people writing letters not only about one favorite professor but two, three, and sometimes four or five. Since the response to Professor Williamson's published...
Abstract These records comprise seven archival boxes and consist of files relating to patents applied for through Northwestern University. Most of the patents are for inventions, procedures, or substances created by Northwestern University faculty.
Abstract The Philosophy Department administrative records date from 1959-1984. Records included in the series are budget statements, course planning materials, Evening Division and Summer Session materials relating to the department, faculty and staff materials, grade reports, lists of students majoring in philosophy, departmental meeting minutes, departmental memoranda, general correspondence, and quarterly reports.
Abstract This series fills three boxes. The records of the Physical Education and Health Department span the years from 1968 to 1980. During that time Walter Gregg served as chair of the Department. The records are related, for the most part, to departmental administration and finances but also document curricular matters. Budget records include financial projections and expenditure accounts. Also included are student pay records. Curricular records include class schedules, promotional materials, and...
Scope and Contents Addition, Box 19 The Addition, which fills one box, comprises 13 folders of general flies and correspondence of University Provost Payson S. Wild, which date from 1949 through 1974. Included as well are nine folders concerning Northwestern University: A History 1850-1975, co-authored by Wild with Harold F. Williamson (1976). These Latter files, all of which date from 1974, include notes and files used by Wild in preparation of the book and four folders of copies of manuscripts of the text....
Abstract Claudia Webster Robinson was an Instructor in Dramatic Production at Northwestern University from 1944 to 1952. During her years at Northwestern, Robinson directed many productions. She was known for her unusual and obscure choices for theatrical productions, and of their excellence. The Claudia Webster Robinson papers are housed in three boxes and date from 1939 to 1987. The papers are comprised of class notes, syllabi, exams, and student papers. Scripts, notes, and sheet music from...
Abstract The College of Arts and Sciences faculty and assistants records consist of two sets of index cards, filling four boxes. The first set contains faculty cards only and spans the years 1856-1926. The second set includes two folders of assistants cards as well as faculty cards and dates from 1922 to 1939. The assistantships represented here are usually held by graduate students either in a research or teaching capacity for departments of the College of Arts and Sciences.
Abstract Theatre faculty member James F. Coakley joined Northwestern University as Assistant Professor of Theatre in 1971. The James F. Coakley Papers, spanning the years from 1960 through 1993, comprise three boxes and are arranged in seven sub-series: biographical materials, education, scripts, publications, research, correspondence, and scrapbooks.
Abstract The Mathematics Department personnel files include correspondence, a few reprints, and brief biographical data on teaching assistants, prospective teaching assistants, and a few faculty members. The bulk of the files span from the mid 1950's to the mid 1960's, although a few date from as early as the 1920's. The amount of material in each person's folder varies widely.
- Names: Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty X
- Law--Study and teaching 11
- English literature--Study and teaching 10
- Economics--Study and teaching 8
- Chemistry--Study and teaching 7
- History--Study and teaching 7
- Mathematics--Study and teaching 7
- Sociology--Study and teaching 7
- Theater--Study and teaching 7
- Physics--Study and teaching 6
- Political science--Study and teaching 6
- Economists 5
- Lawyers 5
- Chemical engineering--Study and teaching 4
- Education--Study and teaching 4
- Music--Instruction and study 4
- Acting--Study and teaching 3
- Art--Study and teaching 3
- Artists 3
- Chemists 3
- Civil engineering--Study and teaching 3
- English language--Study and teaching 3
- Europe--History--Study and teaching 3
- Philosophy--Study and teaching 3
- Physical education and training--Study and teaching 3
- Pianists 3
- Religions--Study and teaching 3
- Spanish literature--Study and teaching 3
- United States--History--Study and teaching 3
- African Americans--Study and teaching 2
- African literature--Study and teaching 2
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- Anthropologists 2
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 2
- Astrophysics--Study and teaching 2
- Band directors 2
- Biochemistry--Study and teaching 2
- Business--History--Study and teaching 2
- Chemical engineers 2
- College presidents--Illinois--Evanston 2
- Composers--United States 2
- Deans (Education) 2
- Electrical engineering--Study and teaching 2
- Ethnology--Study and teaching 2
- French language--Study and teaching--English speakers 2
- Geology--Study and teaching 2
- German literature--Study and teaching 2
- Great Britain--History--Study and teaching 2
- Linguistics--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- Medical rehabilitation--Study and teaching 2
- Methodist Church--Clergy 2
- Piano--Instruction and study 2
- Psychology--Study and teaching 2
- Speech disorders--Study and teaching 2
- Speech--Study and teaching 2
- Theater--Production and direction--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question 1
- Accounting--Study and teaching 1
- Advertising--Study and teaching 1
- Africa--Study and teaching 1
- African American authors--20th century 1
- African American college athletes 1
- African American lawyers 1
- African Americans 1
- African Americans--Social conditions--Study and teaching 1
- African languages--Study and teaching 1
- Air pilots, Military 1
- Anthropology 1
- Archery 1
- Architecture--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Architecture--United States 1
- Art, American--20th century 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Asia--Description and travel 1
- Astronomers 1
- Astrophysicists 1
- Audiologists 1
- Audiology 1
- Audiology--Study and teaching 1
- Authors, American--20th century 1
- Authors, German 1
- Baseball 1
- Basketball 1
- Benin 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Biochemists 1
- Biomedical engineering--Study and teaching 1
- Buildings--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Business education--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Cardiology--Study and teaching 1
- Chemical warfare--Research--United States 1
- Chemistry, Inorganic 1
- Chicago (Ill.)--Social conditions--20th century--Research 1
- Children's theater 1
- Chinese Americans 1
- Classical languages--Study and teaching 1
- Classical literature--Study and teaching 1
- Clinical sociology--Illinois--Chicago 1
- College athletes 1
- College chaplains--Illinois--Evanston 1 ∧ less