- keyword(s): northwestern settlement
Showing Results: 1 - 20 of 35
Abstract The English Department's records of undergraduate majors fill four boxes and span the years 1981-1989. Some or all of the following items are included in each file: transcripts, grade reports, graduation petitions, correspondence, and lists of unfulfilled major requirements.
Abstract This series contains The College Of Arts And Sciences, English Department General Files from 1930 - 1964.
Abstract This series, comprising two and one-half boxes which span the years from 1971-1979, includes English departmental files on individual recipients of the Master of Arts degree. The files, arranged alphabetically according to student surname, typically include: applications for admission to graduate study, transcripts documenting undergraduate and graduate coursework, correspondence pertaining to degree candidacy and examination scheduling, letters of recommendation, faculty evaluations of...
Abstract English department records pertaining to graduate students not completing degrees comprise this series. See access restrictions for this collection.
Abstract This series, is comprised of English department faculty personnel records dating from 1934 through 1981. Tenured and non-tenured faculty, visiting professors and part-time instructors are represented. Typically found within folders are: copies of letters of appointment; salary notifications; some teaching and curricular materials; letters of recommendation; placement materials; and correspondence pertaining to leaves of absence, sabbaticals, grants, research, teaching, and related matters.
Abstract This series fills ten and one-half boxes and includes English departmental files on individual graduate students from the period 1930-1965. Candidates for both doctoral and master of arts degrees as well as graduated and non-graduated students are represented in the files. The files are arranged alphabetically according to student surname. Typically found in most files are: applications for admission to graduate study and to degree candidacy, undergraduate and graduate transcripts,...
Abstract The George Oliver Curme Papers consist entirely of a small amount of biographical material and the manuscript for A Grammar of the English Language. Included with the biographical material are newspaper clippings, press releases, and obituaries.
Abstract This series, filling five boxes, contains course material files used in Northwestern University's English Department, 1964-1985. The materials mostly consist of exams, reading lists, and syllabi, but they also include materials related to freshman seminars, introductory studies, and miscellaneous courses.
Abstract This series comprises the departmental notices of the English department. Issued for general departmental circulation, the notices cover a broad range of topics although most pertain to professorial staff meetings, sponsored lectures, and faculty appointments. Most of these notices were issued by the chairman of the English department.
Abstract This series is comprised of English Department doctoral qualifying examinations from the period 1956-1977. Most of the examinations date between 1974 and 1977 and typically include both examination questions and candidates' written responses. Completing the series is one folder of examination questions from the period 1956-1964.
Dates: 1956-1977, and undated; Other: Majority of material found within 1974 - 1977
Abstract Virgil Barney Heltzel began his teaching career at Northwestern University's English Department, and remained there until his retirement as a professor of English in 1962. His papers are sparse. They consist of early records of his career at Northwestern University, correspondence with colleagues, a student paper, and reprints of scholarly articles published in professional journals.
Abstract The Ney MacMinn Papers fill one box and span the period 1925-1994, with the bulk of the material from 1941-1967. The papers are organized into three categories: biographical materials, correspondence and diaries.
Abstract Thomas Godfrey Lowenstein was an instructor in English at Northwestern University during the period 1971-1974. His teaching centered on English and American literature, modern poetry, and narrative composition. His papers include translations of Eskimo poetry and commentary drafts relating to the publication Eskimo Poems from Canada and Greenland (University of Pittsburgh Press, 1973). The poems in this book, originally collected by Knud Rasmussen (1879-1933),...
Abstract Richard Ellmann, an internationally-known scholar, author and editor, and an authority on James Joyce and W. B. Yeats, was a member of Northwestern University's Department of English faculty from 1951 to 1968. This sparse collection of his miscellaneous papers is contained in one box. It consists of biographical material obtained from Northwestern University official records, newspaper accounts and clippings, and publishers' publicity from 1951 to 1987. There are programs of many conferences in...
Abstract The Samuel Schoenbaum Papers include biographical material, article reprints, reviews of his publications in the United States and Great Britain, and newspaper and periodical clippings of his life and writing.
Abstract Richard M. Wilson's papers are contained within one box and mostly consist of teaching materials and student papers from his African literature courses. The papers also include biographical materials, Program of African Studies materials, and some of Wilson's publications and correspondence. The papers span the years 1968-1972.
Abstract This series, arranged in nine boxes, spans the years from 1945 through 1982. The series is divided into four subseries: departmental correspondence; budget records; general files; and assistantship, fellowship, and scholarship files. The departmental correspondence dates between 1961 and 1982. The departmental correspondence is largely administrative in nature. The budget records span the period 1962-1970. These records deal almost exclusively with departmental salary and budget planning...
Abstract The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
Abstract The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Abstract Scholar and professor of English Literature Arthur Hobart Nethercot joined NU's English faculty in 1919 and remained with the University until retirement. The Arthur Nethercot Papers consist of biographical materials and clippings documenting Nethercot's career at Northwestern, correspondence from literary figures, and copies and reprints of Nethercot's poetry, fiction, and scholarly publications.
- Names: Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English X
- English literature--Study and teaching 19
- English language--Study and teaching 7
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question 1
- African literature--Study and teaching 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Doctoral students--Examinations 1
- Down you go 1
- English language--Grammar 1
- English literature--History and criticism 1
- Inuit poetry--Translations into English 1
- Irish literature--Study and teaching 1
- Journalists 1
- Lawyers 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1
- Poets, English--20th century 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 18
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Graduate students 3
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 2
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cole, Douglas 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- Curme, George O. (George Oliver), 1860-1948 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Evans, Lawrence (Lawrence Gove), 1935-2011 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heltzel, Virgil B. (Virgil Barney), 1896-1976 1
- Hibbard, Addison, 1887-1945 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Lowenstein, Tom 1
- MacMinn, Ney 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Pearson family 1
- Pearson, C. W. (Charles William), 1846-1905 1
- Prior, Moody E. (Moody Erasmus), 1901-1996 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932- 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Shanley, J. Lyndon (James Lyndon), 1910-1996 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 ∧ less