- keyword(s): northwestern settlement
Showing Results: 21 - 40 of 58
Abstract These photographs of individual freshman members of the class of 1982, usually wallet-size portraits, appeared in the introductory booklet published by the Northwestern University Alumni Association for first-year students entering the University.
Abstract The series consists of eleven four-by-five inch glass plate negatives accompanied by corresponding contact prints. The negatives date from the period 1906-1911[?] and feature views of the Northwestern University campus and of University events (including a May, 1908, interscholastic track meet and commencement, ca. 1911). One additional contact print depicting Evanston's Grosse Point Lighthouse is unaccompanied by a negative. Negative emulsions are in fair to poor condition with considerable...
Dates: Other: Majority of material found within 1906-1911
Abstract This three-box series is comprised of photographs of most of the freshman members of the Northwestern University class of 1991. The photographs, for the most part wallet-size color prints and portraits, appeared in the booklet, “Class of 1991,” published for incoming freshmen by the Northwestern University Department of Alumni Relations. Nearly all of the photographs are contained individually in envelopes on which the following information is recorded: student's name, address, hobbies or...
Abstract This series of three boxes consists of photographs of most of the freshman class of 1987. These photographs, typically wallet-sized, were collected for and appeared in the booklet Northwestern University Alumni Association Welcomes the Class of 1987, published for the entering freshmen. Each print is identified on the reverse by the student's name and social security number and is attached to a sheet bearing the same information.
Abstract The series is comprised of photographic prints and negatives relating to the activities, officers, staff, and command of Northwestern University's Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. Most of the photographs are snapshots of award and commissioning ceremonies, inspections, and training exercises although individual and group portraits of NROTC midshipmen are included as well. The bulk of the photographs are black and white. Prints are arranged in folders according to topical headings and date...
Abstract This series, filling one and one-half boxes, is comprised of photographs of most of the freshman members of the class of 1988. These photographs, for the most part wallet-size color portraits, were collected for and appeared in the published booklet, “Introducing the Northwestern University Class of 1988,” published for entering freshmen. Each print is identified on the reverse with the pictured student's name.
Abstract This collection of photographs received from The Daily Northwestern spans the years 1975 to 1996, with the bulk of the photographs falling between the late 1980s and 1994. The photographs reflect a wide range of subjects and styles, and were taken for many different purposes. The collection provides a broad overview of life at Northwestern University, under the broad categories of events, people, athletics, and general materials. The collection includes many...
Abstract The Tod H. Francis photograph collection spans the period 1977-1983 and fills 16 boxes. Francis, an alumnus of Northwestern University, took photographs of activities of student life on campus during his years at Northwestern, especially fraternity and sorority activities. The collection contains color photographic negatives, prints, contact sheets, and transparencies.
Dates: 1977-1983; Other: Date acquired: 12/10/2007
Ralf-Finn Hestoft (Photographer) Photographs of Students, Faculty, Staff, Campus Events, and Scenes on and Off Campus
Abstract This series consists of ninety-eight contact sheets printed from thousands of Ralf-Finn Hestoft's 35mm black-and-white negatives of photographs taken during 1979 and 1980 for the Daily Northwestern and the Northwestern University Syllabus yearbook. The photographs show students (informal photographs and portraits); faculty, staff, and administrators; campus scenes and events, athletics and speakers; and off-campus scenes.
Abstract This album contains photographic and half-tone portraits of Northwestern University School of Law and Union College of Law faculty and staff. Created around 1926, the volume includes portraits of faculty from the period 1859-1926 and of staff from the period 1908-1926.
Abstract This series contains a selection of photographic prints appearing in the 1988 edition of Prospectus, the yearbook of the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management. The bulk of the prints are informal portraits of individual members of Kellogg's class of 1988. A few photographs of student groups and activities are included. The prints are black and white glossies; portraits measure 3.5 by 5 inches, photographs of other subjects range between 3.5 x 5 inches and 5...
Abstract This series comprises a set of photographs of individual senior members and bachelors degree candidates of the Northwestern class of 1982. The photographs are black and white, wallet-size portraits and are mounted in composite fashion on cardboard layout sheets. The photographs appeared in the 1982 edition of the Northwestern Syllabus (Volume 98). Each layout sheet is identified by a number corresponding to a Syllabus page number. The sheets are arranged...
Abstract Before printed yearbooks with photographs of students became widespread, college students exchanged individual photographs taken at local photography studios and reproduced in quantity. The photographs—usually the 4-1/2″ × 6-1/4″ size called cabinet photographs—were mounted on card stock printed with the photographer's name and address. Students filled albums (with spaces designed to fit the standard cabinet size photos) with card photographs of their friends, including photos of faculty and...
Abstract This series includes 30 rolls of negatives from photographs taken of the University Library. Most rolls total 36 exposures. The negatives, black and white and on Kodak Tri-X Pan film, are in 35mm format. The photographs, apparently taken during the early 1970s, are mainly of the interior of the University Library although some shots of Deering Library also are included.
Dates: ca. 1970
Abstract Melvin A. Pingree was a Northwestern University student in the 1860s. His photograph collection contains carte-de-visite photographs of Northwestern students and faculty, as well as Civil War soldiers and officers.
Abstract Eva Reynolds' scrapbook is creatively crafted. Rather than filling the blank pages of a commercially produced scrapbook, she used a book of printed photographs entitled An Art Souvenir: Northwestern University (published by A. L. Swift & Co., Chicago, 1897) as the base for her scrapbook. Photographs and other items representing her experiences and activities at Northwestern are pasted on to pictures printed in the book. Many pages and photographs are titled...
Abstract This series comprises individual copies of photographs that appeared in the 1981 Northwestern University annual, the Syllabus (Volume 97). The series includes all the photographs that appeared in Volume 97 excepting color photographs and senior class portraits. (The University Archives holds a complete set of 1981 senior portraits as they appeared in the Syllabus: see Series 75/30/3.) In addition, a few photographs taken by 1981 ...
Abstract This series comprises six and one-half boxes of photographs of individual senior and graduating members of the class of 1979. The photographs are mainly three and one-half inch-by-five inch color portraits. Photographs of each member of the class, often including multiple copies of portraits as well as negatives, are contained within envelopes identified by students' names. The envelopes are arranged within boxes alphabetically by surname. Portraits from this series appeared in the 1979...
Abstract This series consists of copies of photographs that were taken for publication in the 1979 Northwestern University annual, the Syllabus (Volume 95). Although most of the photographs appeared in the Syllabus, a few unpublished photographs are included in the series. The series does not contain photographs from pages 1-48, color photographs, and most of the senior portraits.
- Subject: Photographs X
- College students 35
- Evanston (Ill.) 4
- Business students 2
- College theater 2
- Photography--Negatives 2
- Academic libraries 1
- Anthropology--Study and teaching 1
- Chickens 1
- College students--Housing 1
- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Evanston (Ill.)--Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Fisk Hall (Evanston, Ill.) 1
- Grosse Point Lighthouse (Ill.) 1
- Heart--Abnormalities 1
- Library buildings 1
- Lifesaving stations--Michigan, Lake--Officials and employees 1
- Lifesaving--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Rats 1
- Theater 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Portraits 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 38
- Syllabus (Evanston, Ill.) 16
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) 13
- Northwestern Alumni Association 8
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Buildings 6
- Students Publishing Company (Northwestern University) 6
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students--Yearbooks 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Archives 5
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Library 3
- Daily Northwestern (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management--Students 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Il.). Office of Alumni Relations and Development 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1981 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 2
- Prospectus (Evanston, Ill.) 2
- Bell, Herbert Yeomans, 1882-1965 1
- Bergen, Edgar, 1903-1978 1
- Bixby, James L., 1921-2002 1
- Eduardo, Octavio de Costa, 1919- 1
- Evanston Life Saving Station (U.S.) 1
- Francis, Tod Huntington, 1959- 1
- Haring, Olga Munk, 1917-2002 1
- Hesler, Alexander, 1823-1895 1
- Hestoft, Ralf-Finn 1
- Horton, Donald H., 1908-1992 1
- Kay, Livonia Ruth, 1867-1949 1
- Martin, William Reddick, 1914-2005 1
- Medill School of Journalism 1
- Minsk, L. David, 1924-2017 1
- National High School Institute 1
- National High School Institute--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Employees 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Track and field 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1976 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Class of 1978 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of University Relations 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Law 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Theatre 1
- Pingree, Melvin A., 1845-1865 or 1866 1
- Reynolds, Eva Jane, 1885-1933 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Union College of Law 1
- Union College of Law--Employees 1
- United States. Army--Officers--Portraits 1
- W. B. Nickerson Photo Company 1 ∧ less