Skip to main content

Charleston County, South Carolina Records

 Collection
Identifier: MS119
This collection consists of twenty volumes of bound carbon copy transcriptions of records from Charleston County, South Carolina kept between 1719 and 1763. Included are records of deeds, minutes from the clerk of the court, records of proceedings in the court of common pleas, wills, and inventory lists of property. Wills and inventory lists provide detailed records about slave ownership, manumission, indentures and apprenticeships, animals, furniture, books, equipment, tools, boats and miscellaneous property, especially business and trade inventories.

Dates

  • 1719-1763

Creator

Conditions Governing Use

There are no restrictions on use of the materials in the department for research; all patrons must comply with federal copyright regulations.

Extent

4.00 Boxes

Abstract

The Carolina settlement of Charles Town, named in honor of King Charles II of England, was established after English settlers arrived in 1670; it was renamed Charleston in 1783. From 1720 until 1773 South Carolina was under English jurisdiction as a Crown Colony. This collection consists of twenty volumes of bound carbon copy transcriptions of records from Charleston County, South Carolina kept between 1719 and 1763.

Method of Acquisition

The collection was donated in 1997 by History Professor Emeritus Clarence L. Ver Steeg, Northwestern University, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences.

Processing Information

Sigrid Pohl Perry, January 1998.
Title
Guide to the Charleston County, South Carolina Records
Author
Sigrid Pohl Perry
Date
01/01/1998
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Repository Details

Part of the Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Deering Library, Level 3
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston IL 60208-2300 US
847-491-3635