[Morton Medical Research Building cornerstone ceremony], 1954 June 15
Scope and Contents
Silent, black and white film that begins with a view of the Northwestern University Chicago Campus sign then shows Northwestern University Medical School Dean Richard H. Young, MD, walking around the construction site of the Morton Medical Research Building with another man. The south façade of the Ward Memorial Building is shown with its foundations exposed by the digging of the Morton construction site.
At a ceremony on June 15, 1954, Sterling Morton, the son of Joy Morton for whom the Morton Building was named, is shown placing concrete with a trowel around a time capsule in the cornerstone of the Morton building then giving a speech to a crowd gathered outdoors followed by another speaker.
Finally, faculty and guests in academic gowns and regalia are shown processing into the Thorne Auditorium and six men make speeches including University chaplain Walter G. Wagoner, University President J. Roscoe Miller, MD, Dean Young, Board of Trustees president Kenneth F. Burgess, and Sterling Morton. Select members of the audience stand and recite something from a program. The faculty and speakers are then shown leaving the auditorium.
- 1954 June 15
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
1 Reels : 8:39 minutes, black & white, silent ; 16mm, 279 ft.
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Immediate Source of Acquisition
See accession record 2018-18-033.
Part of the Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center Repository
320 E. Superior Ave.
Chicago IL 60611-3008 US