Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract Records of Dearborn Observatory, built in 1865 by the Chicago Astronomical Society and the University of Chicago and in 1889 moved to Northwestern University's Evanston campus. Dearborn Observatory was a significant contributor in the area of double star research. The records consist almost entirely of observational data gathered by astronomers using Dearborn's 18-1/2 inch refracting telescope or its meridian circle, calculations performed on the data, and the results of such...
Abstract The Philip Fox papers, comprising one box, include correspondence, astronomical notes and calculations, notes and drafts of publications, and lists compiled by Fox of outstanding scientists.The general correspondence covers the years from 1904 to 1941. Of interest are the four letters written in 1909 urging the purchase of the Simon Newcomb Library for the Astronomy Department at Northwestern. The standard equinox correspondence records Fox's interest in 1915 in establishing such a...
Abstract The George Washington Hough Papers, spanning the years 1855 to 1909, comprise seven boxes and five Gaylord oversize folders. They are arranged in seven subseries: diaries and notebooks; correspondence; teaching material; research material; lectures; manuscripts and drafts; and published works. Included are diaries Hough kept as a student, lecture notes, professional and personal correspondence, class books, graded student exams, observational records, drawings of and data pertaining to...
The papers of Oliver J. Lee fill one half-size box. They consist of several biographical accounts, a small amount of correspondence, a poem, a tribute to his predecessor, Philip Fox, and reprints of his articles.
Abstract Astronomer Truman Safford was the first director of the Dearborn Observatory (in its old location on the South Side of Chicago, before it was moved in 1889 to Northwestern University). The records consist mainly of notebooks in which he recorded observations, calculations and notes. Materials include Safford's teaching files from the first University of Chicago, astronomical observations, computations regarding celestial objects, extracts from astronomical catalogs and two manuscripts. One...
- Names: Dearborn Observatory X
- Astronomy--Observations 4
- Astronomers 3
- Astronomical observatories--United States 3
- Astronomy--Study and teaching 2
- Stars--Observations 2
- Fox, Philip, 1878-1944 2
- Hough, G. W. (George Washington), 1836-1909 2
- Safford, Truman Henry, 1836-1901 2
- Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum 1
- Burnham, S. W. (Sherburne Wesley), 1838-1921 1
- Chicago Astronomical Society 1
- Colbert, Elias, 1831- 1
- Dudley Observatory 1
- Hynek, J. Allen (Joseph Allen), 1910-1986 1
- Lee, Oliver Justin, 1881-1964 1
- Mitchel, O. M. (Ormsby MacKnight), 1809-1862 1
- Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Astronomy Department 1
- Watson, James C. (James Craig), 1838-1880 1 + ∧ less