Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Elmer Gertz Collection
Abstract Elmer Gertz (1906-2000) was a lawyer, author, professor, and civil rights advocate. He fought many legal battles relating to the death penalty, police brutality, housing equality, freedom of speech, and other civil liberties. Gertz played a role in some of the most famous legal cases of the second half of the 20th century. He helped secure parole for "thrill killer" Nathan Leopold, defended Henry Miller’s novel Tropic of Cancer in numerous obscenity...
Harold S. Hulbert Papers
The Papers of psychiatrist Harold Hulbert include notes and correspondence pertaining to his examination of John Kammerer, a convicted murderer executed February 13, 1925; and statements, reports, and evidence Hulbert obtained as a consultant in the celebrated Leopold and Loeb murder case of 1924.
Found in: Northwestern University Archives
Leopold and Loeb Collection
Abstract Nathan Freudenthal Leopold, Jr. (November 19, 1904-August 29, 1971) and Richard Albert Loeb (June 11, 1905-January 28, 1936), often referred to as "Leopold and Loeb", were privileged and wealthy teenage University of Chicago students who murdered 14-year-old Robert "Bobby" Franks in 1924 in a desire to commit the "perfect crime," and were sentenced to prison for 99 years plus a life term. Through correspondence, newspaper clippings, court documents, miscellanea, photographs, publications,...
Dates: 1894 - 1990; Other: Majority of material found within 1952 - 1971; Other: Date acquired: 11/30/1963
Richard Loeb Papers
The Richard Loeb Papers consist of 1 box and 1 oversize folder of correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous biographical information dating 1886 to 1956 related to the Loeb family and the prosecution and incarceration of Richard Loeb and his friend Nathan Leopold following their May 1924 murder of 14-year-old Bobby Franks.
- Names: Loeb, Richard A., 1905-1936 X
- Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections 3
- Northwestern University Archives 1
- Censorship--United States 1
- Civil rights--United States 1
- Crime--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Lawyers 1
- Murder--Illinois--Chicago--Case studies 1
- Murderers 1
- Murderers--Psychology 1
- Trials (Murder)--Illinois--Cook County 1 + ∧ less
- Leopold, Nathan Freudenthal, 1904-1971 3
- Gertz, Elmer, 1906-2000 2
- Crump, Paul 1
- Darrow, Clarence, 1857-1938 1
- Hulbert, Harold S. (Harold Stacey), 1887-1949 1
- Kammerer, John, -1925 1
- Loeb family 1
- Miller, Henry, 1891-1980 1
- Ruby, Jack 1
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972 1 + ∧ less