Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Collection — Box: 1
Abstract During Daniel Bonbright’s 54-year career at Northwestern University (1856-1902), he taught Latin, served as University Librarian, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, and interim President from 1900 to 1902. He was instrumental in shaping the University’s early curriculum, establishing the Library, and getting University Hall built. This sparse collection of his papers offers an overview of his life and legacy.
Dates: 1847 - 1951; Other: Majority of material found within 1847 - 1902
Abstract Ralph Brownell Dennis received a diploma from Northwestern University’s School of Oratory in 1897 and a Bachelor of Letters degree from the University’s College of Liberal Arts in 1901. He became a member of the School of Oratory faculty, its Associate Director in 1913, its Director in 1916, and Dean of the School in 1919, serving until his retirement in 1942. Dennis worked to expand and modernize the School of Oratory (later the School of Speech) during his tenure. The Ralph B. Dennis Papers...
Abstract Lawrence Dumas became assistant professor in the Biological Science Department at Northwestern University in 1970, was appointed associate professor in 1975, and full professor in 1980. Dumas also served as chair of the department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Cell Biology, and as dean of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, before becoming University Provost. This collection of his papers fills 58 boxes and spans the years from 1953 it 2008. It contains biographical materials,...
Dates: 1953 - 2008; Other: Majority of material found within 1969 - 1987; Other: Date acquired: 02/04/2008
Abstract Harold Gotaas came to Northwestern as professor of civil engineering and dean of the Technological Institute; he retired as dean in 1970 but continued to teach until his retirement in 1975. The papers document Gotaas' academic career through course materials and publications, and include research and consulting files.
Abstract The Thomas Franklin Holgate Papers offer a brief glimpse of the work of a competent university administrator during the first two decades of the Twentieth Century; a view of an effective and practical promoter of higher education for blacks; a productive and stimulating teacher and writer in mathematics; and an administrator (especially in financial matters) sought-after by many educational and religious organizations. The papers are arranged in five main categories: biographical material;...
Abstract The Oliver Marcy Papers comprise biographical materials; correspondence; copies of articles and addresses by Marcy; and materials relating to the Northwestern University Museum of Natural History. Marcy's correspondence concerns a variety of subjects, including his early career as a science teacher at Wilbraham Academy and at Amenia Seminary; his career as a faculty member and his two separate terms as Acting President of Northwestern; Northwestern's faculty and administration, campus life, and...
Abstract The series, arranged in twenty six boxes, is comprised of the administrative records of Robert L. Church, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, School of Education, 1974-1979. The bulk of the records document Church's deanship at the School of Education. A small amount of materials relate to Church's position as faculty member of the School of Education (1970-1974) prior to becoming the associate dean. The activities of the associate dean are documented in five subseries of records: general...
Dates: 1965 - 1986; Other: Majority of material found within 1974 - 1979
Abstract The Walter Dill Scott Papers provide a partial view of a pioneering psychologist interested in the classification of military and industrial personnel, and a fairly comprehensive portrait of the administrative role of a Northwestern University president who sought to integrate the disparate components of a university in crisis and develop for it a national reputation. They also illustrate some of the problems faced by an American university during the Depression. The Walter Dill Scott Papers...
Abstract This series consists of 9 boxes of material consisting of Robert H. Strotz's tenure at Northwestern University's Economics Department. The bulk of the material covedrs the period 1962-1969. The collection's time period also covers Strotz's tenure as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, 1965-1970. Files on conferences and lectures, general correspondence, graduate students, course materials, book and manuscript reviews, and site visits to other educational institutions on behalf of the U.S....
Dates: 1959 - 1970; Other: Majority of material found within 1962 - 1969
Abstract twelve boxes, span the dates 1949-2000 and include biographical materials, education files, general correspondence, subject correspondence, committee files, teaching files, research files, speeches/addresses/papers, and publications.
Abstract In 1928, the University moved to increase the voice of the faculty in the determination of general educational policies by replacing the University Council, originally organized in 1910, with a University Senate. This collection is comprised of records of notes maintained by the Senate Secretary. The folder for each year typically contains: minutes and agenda of the University Senate.
Dates: 1928 - 1993
Abstract Clarence Lester Ver Steeg initially joined Northwestern as a Professor of United States History in 1950 and served as Dean of The Graduate School from 1975 to 1986. Ver Steeg was most well known for teaching American history courses. Aside from his teaching responsibilities, he was instrumental in expanding graduate education programs. As chairman of the Northwestern Faculty Committee to Plan and Build the New University Library, Ver Steeg played a crucial role in the development, design, and...
- College presidents 4
- Air pilots, Military 1
- Audiology--Study and teaching 1
- Biochemistry--Study and teaching 1
- Civil engineering--Study and teaching 1
- Economics--Study and teaching 1
- Economists 1
- Historians 1
- Latin language--Study and teaching 1
- Mathematics--Study and teaching 1
- Natural history--Study and teaching 1
- Psychology, Military 1
- Teachers--Training of--United States 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Office of the President 4
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). College of Arts and Sciences 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 2
- Bonbright, Daniel, 1831-1912 1
- Church, Robert L. 1
- Dennis, Ralph B. (Ralph Brownell), 1876-1942 1
- Dumas, Lawrence B. (Lawrence Bernard), 1941-2008 1
- Gotaas, Harold Benedict, 1906-1977 1
- Holgate, Georgina Burdette, 1866-1934 1
- Holgate, Thomas F. (Thomas Franklin), 1859-1945 1
- Marcy family 1
- Marcy, Elizabeth Eunice Smith, 1821-1911 1
- Marcy, Oliver, 1820-1899 1
- Methodist Episcopal Church 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Economics 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Mathematics 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Psychology 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Graduate School 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Museum of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Education 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Technological Institute 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). University Senate 1
- Reye, Theodor, 1838-1919 1
- Scott, Walter Dill, 1869-1955 1
- Strotz, Robert H. (Robert Henry) 1
- Tillman, Tom W. (Tom Whitten), 1931-2000 1
- United States. Army Air Forces 1
- Ver Steeg, Clarence L. (Clarence Lester), 1922-2007 1
- Winchell, Alexander, 1824-1891 1 ∧ less