Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Daniel Bonbright Papers
Collection — Box: 1
During Daniel Bonbright’s 54-year career at Northwestern University (1856-1902), he taught Latin, served as University Librarian, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, and interim President from 1900 to 1902. He was instrumental in shaping the University’s early curriculum, establishing the Library, and getting University Hall built. This sparse collection of his papers offers an overview of his life and legacy.
Dates: 1847 - 1951; Other: Majority of material found within 1847 - 1902
Thomas Franklin Holgate (1859-1945) Papers
Abstract The Thomas Franklin Holgate Papers offer a brief glimpse of the work of a competent university administrator during the first two decades of the Twentieth Century; a view of an effective and practical promoter of higher education for blacks; a productive and stimulating teacher and writer in mathematics; and an administrator (especially in financial matters) sought-after by many educational and religious organizations. The papers are arranged in five main categories: biographical...
Oliver Marcy (1820-1899) Papers
Abstract The Oliver Marcy Papers comprise biographical materials; correspondence; copies of articles and addresses by Marcy; and materials relating to the Northwestern University Museum of Natural History. Marcy's correspondence concerns a variety of subjects, including his early career as a science teacher at Wilbraham Academy and at Amenia Seminary; his career as a faculty member and his two separate terms as Acting President of Northwestern; Northwestern's faculty and administration, campus life,...
Walter Dill Scott (1869-1955) Papers
Abstract The Walter Dill Scott Papers provide a partial view of a pioneering psychologist interested in the classification of military and industrial personnel, and a fairly comprehensive portrait of the administrative role of a Northwestern University president who sought to integrate the disparate components of a university in crisis and develop for it a national reputation. They also illustrate some of the problems faced by an American university during the Depression. The Walter Dill Scott Papers...
- Latin language--Study and teaching 1
- Mathematics--Study and teaching 1
- Natural history--Study and teaching 1
- Psychology, Military 1
- Bonbright, Daniel, 1831-1912 1
- Holgate, Georgina Burdette, 1866-1934 1
- Holgate, Thomas F. (Thomas Franklin), 1859-1945 1
- Marcy family 1
- Marcy, Elizabeth Eunice Smith, 1821-1911 1
- Marcy, Oliver, 1820-1899 1
- Methodist Episcopal Church 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Mathematics 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Psychology 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Museum of Natural History 1
- Reye, Theodor, 1838-1919 1
- Scott, Walter Dill, 1869-1955 1
- Winchell, Alexander, 1824-1891 1 + ∧ less