Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 35
The Douglas Cole papers fill nine boxes and span the years 1960 to 1997. They contain biographical materials, materials relating to Cole's involvement with Northwestern University, publications and addresses, and teaching files. Materials relating to Cole's Northwestern University involvement include files on the Comparative Literature Committee, the Dean's Advisory Board on Tenure and Promotions, the Drama Program, and the English Department.
The George Oliver Curme Papers consist entirely of a small amount of biographical material and the manuscript for A Grammar of the English Language. Included with the biographical material are newspaper clippings, press releases, and obituaries.
The Wallace W. Douglas Papers fill 22 boxes. The papers include biographical materials as well as materials covering education, correspondence, teaching, research, professional associations, speeches and publications.
This series contains The College Of Arts And Sciences, English Department General Files from 1930 - 1964.
This series, filling five boxes, contains course material files used in Northwestern University's English Department, 1964-1985. The materials mostly consist of exams, reading lists, and syllabi, but they also include materials related to freshman seminars, introductory studies, and miscellaneous courses.
This series comprises the departmental notices of the English department. Issued for general departmental circulation, the notices cover a broad range of topics although most pertain to professorial staff meetings, sponsored lectures, and faculty appointments. Most of these notices were issued by the chairman of the English department.
This series contains English department faculty personnel records dating from 1934 through 1981. Tenured and non-tenured faculty, visiting professors and part-time instructors are represented. Typically found within folders are: copies of letters of appointment; salary notifications; some teaching and curricular materials; letters of recommendation; placement materials; and correspondence pertaining to leaves of absence, sabbaticals, grants, research, teaching, and related matters.
This series is comprised of English Department doctoral qualifying examinations from the period 1956-1977. Most of the examinations date between 1974 and 1977 and typically include both examination questions and candidates' written responses. Completing the series is one folder of examination questions from the period 1956-1964.
English department records pertaining to graduate students not completing degrees comprise this series. See access restrictions for this collection.
The English Department's records of undergraduate majors fill four boxes and span the years 1981-1989. Some or all of the following items are included in each file: transcripts, grade reports, graduation petitions, correspondence, and lists of unfulfilled major requirements.
Bergen Evans joined the faculty of Northwestern University in the department of English in 1932. He was an incredibly popular instructor, and remained at Northwestern until his retirement in 1974. The Bergen Evans Papers, comprising 83 boxes and spanning the period 1921–1978, includes biographical materials, educational materials, correspondence, teaching materials, research and consulting files, addresses, television and radio program files, and publications.
The Lawrence Evans Papers fill twenty-two boxes and span the years 1956 to 1999. The papers consist of Evans' notes from Harvard classes, correspondence relating to Northwestern, teaching files, correspondence with and about students, graduate student files, biographical information, committee and professional association records, course files, and publication files. The bulk of the papers document Evans' 40 year teaching career as professor of English at Northwestern University.
The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Jean Howard Hagstrum taught English Literature at Northwestern University from 1940 until his retirement in 1981. His extensive papers document his educational, teaching, administrative, and scholarly career.
The Harrison Hayford papers fill seventy-two boxes, spanning the years 1916 to 2002. The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence files, Northwestern University teaching files, Northwestern University student files and, most significantly, the Herman Melville Editing Project files.
- Names: Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English X
- English literature--Study and teaching 19
- English language--Study and teaching 7
- American literature--Study and teaching 2
- Literature--Study and teaching 2
- $64,000 question (Television program) 1
- African literature--Study and teaching 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- Bible--Criticism, interpretation, etc. 1
- Doctoral students--Examinations 1
- Down You Go (Television program) 1
- English language--Grammar 1
- English literature--History and criticism 1
- Inuit poetry--Translations into English 1
- Irish literature--Study and teaching 1
- Journalists 1
- Lawyers 1
- Methodist Church--Clergy 1
- Poets, English--20th century 1 + ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Faculty 18
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Graduate students 3
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 2
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cole, Douglas 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- Curme, George O. (George Oliver), 1860-1948 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Evans, Bergen, 1904-1978 1
- Evans, Lawrence (Lawrence Gove), 1935-2011 1
- Famous Writers School 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Hayford, Harrison 1
- Heltzel, Virgil B. (Virgil Barney), 1896-1976 1
- Hibbard, Addison, 1887-1945 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Lowenstein, Tom 1
- MacMinn, Ney 1
- Marx, Groucho, 1890-1977 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Montagu, Ashley, 1905-1999 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Students 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Pearson family 1
- Pearson, C. W. (Charles William), 1846-1905 1
- Prior, Moody E. (Moody Erasmus), 1901-1996 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932-2021 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Schoenbaum, S. (Samuel), 1927-1996 1
- Shanley, J. Lyndon (James Lyndon), 1910-1996 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wilson, Richard, 1940- 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 + ∧ less