Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Abstract The Wallace W. Douglas Papers fill 22 boxes. The papers include biographical materials as well as materials covering education, correspondence, teaching, research, professional associations, speeches and publications.
Abstract The Frederic E. Faverty Papers are arranged in nineteen and one-half boxes and one oversize package. They span the period 1920-1982. The Papers are organized into eight subseries: biographical materials, general correspondence, Harvard University materials, Northwestern University materials, teaching materials and lecture notes, graduate student records, subject files, and publications files.
Abstract The Zera S. Fink Papers, comprising two boxes, are arranged into four groups: general correspondence, course materials, published works and research materials. The bulk of the correspondence is from 1956 to 1959 and largely concerns the printing and publication of his book, The Early Wordsworthian Milieu. Fink's academic specialties included Milton, seventeenth century English literature and Romantic literature.
Abstract Jean Howard Hagstrum taught English Literature at Northwestern University from 1940 until his retirement in 1981. His extensive papers document his educational, teaching, administrative, and scholarly career.
Abstract Harold Kaplan was a professor of English and American Literature at Northwestern University from 1972 to 1986, when he became professor emeritus. Before coming to Northwestern, Kaplan taught at Rutgers University and Bennington College, after having served in the United States Air Force for four years. He received his B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Chicago. This collection includes Kaplan’s class notes, drafts for books and essays, correspondence, talks, and the reviews of his...
Dates: 1946 - 2013; Other: Date acquired: 03/03/2011
Abstract Robert D. Mayo came to Northwestern University as an Instructor in the Department of English in 1941. He returned to the University after service in the U.S. Army as assistant professor in 1946, became an associate professor in 1953, and professor in 1961, retiring in 1978. Mayo's research interests included 17th and 18th century English periodicals, the novel in 18th and 19th century England and 20th century America, gothic fiction, 20th century criticism, and romantic and modern poetry. His...
Abstract Scholar and professor of English Literature Arthur Hobart Nethercot joined NU's English faculty in 1919 and remained with the University until retirement. The Arthur Nethercot Papers consist of biographical materials and clippings documenting Nethercot's career at Northwestern, correspondence from literary figures, and copies and reprints of Nethercot's poetry, fiction, and scholarly publications.
Abstract Ernest Samuels entered the University of Chicago as a pre-law student in 1919. He received a Bachelor of Philosophy in Law and French in 1923 and immediately entered the University of Chicago Law School. In 1930 he then returned to Chicago to pursue a long standing interest in literature. From January to August 1931 he resumed his studies at the University of Chicago, this time in the English Department. After holding several academic positions, Samuels was appointed Instructor of English in...
Dates: 1918 - 1995; Other: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1971
Abstract Donald Torchiana came to Northwestern University in 1953 as instructor in English from 1953-1959; he became an assistant professor in 1959, an associate professor in 1963, and a professor in 1968, until his retirement in 1989. His research interests were 18th century English and Irish literature, the Irish Literary Renaissance, modern literature, and the writings of Joyce, Yeats, Swift and Pope. The Donald Torchiana Papers fill five boxes and span the period 1958-1992. The papers are divided...
Abstract Richard Wendorf was a professor of English and of Art History at Northwestern University and served the College of Arts and Sciences as associate dean from 1984-1987. His primary research interests involved the eighteenth century poet William Collins and the relationship between biography and portrait painting. The Richard Wendorf Papers are composed of eight categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, administrative files, professional organizations...
- American literature--Study and teaching 1
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- English language--Study and teaching 1
- Irish literature--Study and teaching 1
- Lawyers 1
- Spender, Stephen, 1909-1995 2
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918 1
- Berenson, Bernard, 1865-1959 1
- Besant, Annie, 1847-1933 1
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 1
- Bode, Carl, 1911-1993 1
- Boorstin, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), 1914-2004 1
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667 1
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989 1
- D'Avenant, William, 1606-1668 1
- De Voto, Bernard, 1897-1955 1
- Douglas, Wallace W. (Wallace Warner), 1914-1995 1
- Ellmann, Richard, 1918-1987 1
- Elmen, Paul 1
- Faverty, Frederic E. (Frederic Everett), 1902-1981 1
- Fink, Zera Silver, 1902-1979 1
- Hagstrum, Jean H. 1
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 1
- Kaplan, Harold, 1916-2015 1
- Kerr, Walter Boardman, 1911-2003 1
- Kunitz, Stanley, 1905-2006 1
- Mattingly, Garrett, 1900-1962 1
- Mayo, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-1998 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Modern Language Association of America 1
- Nethercot, Arthur H. (Arthur Hobart), 1895-1981 1
- Nevins, Allan, 1890-1971 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Faculty Planning Committee 1
- O'Faoláin, Seán, 1900-1991 1
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963 1
- Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius), 1891-1979 1
- Rumsfeld, Donald, 1932-2021 1
- Samuels, Ernest, 1903-1996 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950 1
- Taft, Lorado, 1860-1936 1
- Thurber, James, 1894-1961 1
- Torchiana, Donald T. 1
- Toynbee, Arnold, 1889-1975 1
- Trilling, Lionel, 1905-1975 1
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wordsworth, Christopher, 1774-1846 1
- Wordsworth, William, 1770-1850 1
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-2000 1 ∧ less