Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
Abstract After a time in the U.S. Naval Reserve which interrupted his studies, Howard Franklin Bennett returned to Harvard in the spring of 1946. The following autumn he accepted a position as Assistant Professor of Business History at Northwestern University. Bennett re-enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1951 and served on active duty until 1953 , then in reserve as Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Intelligence Unit at Glenview, Illinois. Bennett attained the rank of Captain in 1960 and retired from...
Abstract Gray C. Boyce taught medieval history at Northwestern University from 1946 until his retirement in the spring of 1967. He served as Department Chair, 1948-1966. The Gray Boyce Papers are held in three and a half archival boxes and divided into three subseries: Biographical, Scholarly and Correspondence. The bulk of the materials are in the Correspondence series.
Abstract Richard Munthe Brace accepted an invitation to join the Northwestern University faculty as an associate professor of history in 1947. He stayed at Northwestern until 1965 when he moved to Oakland University (in Michigan). His research and teaching interests centered on French and modern European history. The Richard Brace Papers are arranged in eight subseries: biographical materials, education tiles, correspondence, teaching files, research and consulting files, professional organizations...
Abstract The Leland H. Carlson Papers fill two boxes and are arranged in five subseries: Correspondence; Education Files; Publications; Notes, Lectures and Syllabi; and Student Papers. The correspondence includes letters of recommendation and responses concerning a graduate assistant, John Wilkes, correspondence and papers from an English history conference held at the Newberry Library that was chaired by Carlson in 1953, and correspondence from Gary C. Boyce, Chair of the History Department of...
Abstract Isaac Joslin Cox taught History at Northwestern University from 1919 until his retirement in 1941. His papers are arranged into: biographical material; Aaron Burr Material; James P. Wilkinson Material; Harry Innes Material; West Florida Material; William Shaler Material; John Breckenridge Material; miscellaneous Isaac Joslin Cox material. Most of the materials are copies of documents from other repositories that Cox used in his research. Two additions to the collection chiefly contain material...
Abstract Clyde LeClare Grose, a specialist in early modern British history, came to Northwestern University as an Instructor in History in 1916, soon after becoming Chairman of the History Department. He remained at Northwestern until his death in 1942. Grose was born on April 8, 1889, in Deweyville, Ohio, and spent his childhood on the family farm. He and his parents then moved to Findlay, Ohio where he attended high school; he received his bachelor's degree from Findlay College in 1910. He went...
Abstract The Papers of Thomas William Heyck (also known as "T.W." and "Bill") document his career as educator and administrator at Northwestern University from 1968 to 2007. A scholar of British and Irish history, he was also involved in significant campus committee work, including establishing the Residential College system and chairing the Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience.
Dates: 1966-2007; Other: Date acquired: 04/02/2008
Abstract These records fill seven boxes and document the service to the History Department of its non-current faculty. The records include correspondence pertaining to appointments, salary adjustments, teaching assignments, leaves of absence, terminations of service, and retirements. Frequently included in the files are copies of vitae and teaching evaluations while less often found are letters of recommendation, placement service files, and other materials.
Dates: ca. 1966-1986
Abstract James joined Northwestern University's faculty in 1897 as a professor of history, where he remained until retirement in 1935. James also served as the first Dean of the Graduate School at NU from 1917 – 1931. In addition to his teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels James engaged in historical investigation and writing, particularly about the revolutionary period and the Midwest. The James Alton James Papers are arranged in six main categories: biographical material; correspondence;...
Abstract The David Joravsky papers fill thirteen boxes and are arranged into six categories: biographical materials; correspondence files; materials relating to Joravsky's service on behalf of Northwestern University; non-Northwestern teaching files; materials pertaining to scholarly organizations; and publications, research, and grant applications files. The bulk of the series, nine boxes, is comprised of materials concerning Joravsky's work on behalf of Northwestern...
Abstract The Richard W. Leopold papers are prodigious in both volume and scope. They document not only the long and productive career of an eminent scholar but also reflect many significant issues and developments in the historical profession and at Northwestern University during the twentieth century. The material spans the period of Leopold's life although the vast bulk date between 1938 and 1980, the years of his teaching career. His papers include correspondence and other materials of...
Dates: 1912 - 2007; Other: Majority of material found within 1938 - 1980
Abstract The Oliver Marcy Papers comprise biographical materials; correspondence; copies of articles and addresses by Marcy; and materials relating to the Northwestern University Museum of Natural History. Marcy's correspondence concerns a variety of subjects, including his early career as a science teacher at Wilbraham Academy and at Amenia Seminary; his career as a faculty member and his two separate terms as Acting President of Northwestern; Northwestern's faculty and administration, campus life, and...
Abstract The papers of Richard Overton (1907-1988; professor of business history) fill 5 boxes and span the years 1940 to 1990, with the bulk of the papers dating between 1942 and 1955. The materials include biographical information; memberships; conferences; Northwestern University's Business History Department; teaching; research; speeches; photographs; professional invitations; publications; Mississippi Valley Historical Association.Biographical materials (1944-1959) include curricula...
Abstract The George T. Romani Papers comprise 11 boxes of material generated during his career as a college student and teacher, 1935-1977. The papers are divided into five general categories: Biographical Materials, Student Materials: University of California-Berkeley, Correspondence, Academic Files and Writings and Research. The bulk of the collection consists of his Academic Files which span Romani's thirty year career at Northwestern University, 1947-1977. His research focused on European history,...
Abstract Franklin D. Scott joined the faculty at Northwestern University in 1935, where he remained until his retirement in 1969. Scott's research interests included Sweden and Scandinavia. Upon retiring, Scott became the curator of Nordic Collections at the Honnold Library at Pomona College. Scott died in 1994. The Franklin D. Scott Papers, spanning the years from 1923 through 1982, comprise eight boxes and are arranged in six sub-series: biographical materials, correspondence, teaching materials,...
Abstract Richard Wendorf was a professor of English and of Art History at Northwestern University and served the College of Arts and Sciences as associate dean from 1984-1987. His primary research interests involved the eighteenth century poet William Collins and the relationship between biography and portrait painting. The Richard Wendorf Papers are composed of eight categories: biographical materials, education files, correspondence, teaching files, administrative files, professional organizations...
Abstract The Robert Wiebe Papers consist of biographical, correspondence, financial, University, department, teaching, advising, presentation, publication, and typescript files. Materials dating from approximately 1980 to 2000 form the bulk of the series.Dating from 1949 to 2000, the biographical materials consist of research reports, curriculum vitae, press releases, and obituaries documenting Wiebe's education and career in academia. Spanning from 1974 to 1993, family history includes Wiebe's...
Dates: 1949 - 2000; Other: Majority of material found within 1980 - 2000
- History--Study and teaching 7
- Europe--History--Study and teaching 3
- United States--History--Study and teaching 3
- Business--History--Study and teaching 2
- Great Britain--History--Study and teaching 2
- Art--History--Study and teaching 1
- College presidents 1
- Education--Study and teaching 1
- English literature--Study and teaching 1
- Latin America--History--Study and teaching 1
- Middle Ages--Study and teaching 1
- Natural history--Study and teaching 1
- Railroads--Economic aspects--United States--Study and teaching 1
- Residential colleges--Illinois--Evanston 1
- Scandinavia 1 ∧ less
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of History 12
- Boyce, Gray Cowan, 1899-1981 2
- Brace, Richard M. (Richard Munthe), 1915-1977 2
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce 2
- Bennett, Howard F. (Howard Franklin), 1911-1974 1
- Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836 1
- Carlson, Leland H. (Leland Henry), 1908-1995 1
- Cox, Isaac Joslin, 1873-1956 1
- Grose, Clyde LeClare, 1899-1942 1
- Grose, Clyde LeClare, 1899-1942. Select bibliography of British history, 1660-1760 1
- Heyck, Thomas William, 1938-2014 1
- James, James Alton, 1864-1962 1
- Japan International Christian University 1
- Joravsky, David 1
- Leopold, Richard William 1
- Marcy family 1
- Marcy, Elizabeth Eunice Smith, 1821-1911 1
- Marcy, Oliver, 1820-1899 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- Methodist Church (U.S.) 1
- North Park College and Theological Seminary--Faculty 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)--Administration 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). College of Arts and Sciences 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Art History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of English 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Department of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Graduate School 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Museum of Natural History 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). Office of the President 1
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Speech 1
- Overton, Richard C. (Richard Cleghorn), 1907-1988 1
- Romani, George T. (George Thomas), 1917-1977 1
- Scott, Franklin D. (Franklin Daniel), 1901-1994 1
- United States. Naval Reserve--Officers 1
- Wendorf, Richard 1
- Wiebe, Robert H. 1
- Wilkinson, James, 1757-1825 1
- Winchell, Alexander, 1824-1891 1
- World Council of Churches 1 ∧ less